Chapter 44 - Secret Tunnels

Mala and Dagur glided over the Berserker's dense forest, heading to the northern side of the island.

Dagur was internally screaming at himself to confess to Mala that he liked her, but under these circumstances, it just didn't feel right.

Mala was a sweet, but strong woman, she required a very special gesture and Dagur needed to think of something that would woo her.

He wasn't overly good with his words, or to put it plainly, he was, but his word choice boiled down to gore and murder.

He needed to say something or he could possibly lose his chance, this war with the Dragon Hunters had taken a heavy toll on his and her people.

" Ah...Mala, I...have something to...ah...tell you." He stammered, the short-haired blond woman turned to him, her green eyes shining in the sun.

" Yes, Dagur?" She smiled, the read head blushed and gulped, this woman sure had a way of pulling on his heart strings.

" I...there's this thing...I've been wanting...to tell you...for a while now...and..." Before he could finish, Curious cleared his throat.

" Sorry to interrupt." Curious began, Dagur stopped himself from replying with a witty comeback.

" But, is there a reason why a Dragon Hunter's ship is parked right on the West beach?" Mala and Dagur looked to where the Gailslash was referring to and spotted the boat sitting on the sand.

" Strange, why would they be on the western beach?" Shattermaster asked, looking up at his rider, who shrugged.

" We better go investigate." Mala steered Curious to the beach, Dagur and Shattermaster followed close behind.

The two riders landed on the beach and walked over to the ship, it was defiantly a Dragon Hunter's ship.

As to why they were on the beach, the two riders were yet to discover, Curious sniffed the air and followed the scent to a cave.

" Their scent goes into this cave." Curious explained and continued following the smell, the others went in as well.

After about half an hour, the sound of men grunting, echoed off the walls, as the two riders hid behind a wall of frost stained stone.

Mala peeked her head around the corner, she saw several dragon hunters digging a tunnel through a thick wall of ice and commanding them was Johan.

" Mala, what is it?" Curious quietly crooned, as his rider pulled her head back around, shock etched into her features.

" Mala, what did you see?" Dagur asked, the queen of the Defenders looked at him, blaiingbher fists.

" Johan, he...he's working with the hunters, he's played us for a fool this whole time." Dagur and the dragons each widened their eyes in shock.

" Are you sure it was Johan?" Curious looked at her rider with worry, crooning at her for an answer.

" Johan, so it was him this whole time, that's why he disappeared after the auction." Dagur notified, Mala nodded grabbing the hilt of her sword.

" Mala no, if you attack, we may never find out why they are down here." Dagur knew what she was intending on doing and grabbed her wrist, shaking his head.

" As far as I know these tunnels lead to the heart of the island." Dagur pulled Mala's hand off her sword hilt and held it, she looked into his eyes, seeing a new man.

" We go back to the others, tell them what we've seen and prepare for battle, whatever is down here, Hiccup will find out." Dagur finished, pulling Mala back along the tunnel a smile on his face.