Chapter 36 - Sunrise Feelings

The riders sat around an open fire, Hiccup was having his bandages and the tea tree paste applied by Astrid and Nathalia.

The Hofferson had been helping Hiccup get around the whole day, making sure he was comfortable and just being there for him.

Hiccup had been grateful, except for Dagur and Eret's overprotective guarding, they had been watching his every move and following him around.

Astrid and Nathalia had scared the two of them off, saying that Hiccup was fine and didn't need protecting, they obviously ran away like little chickens.

" Three cracked ribs, the brand, whip lacerations, a few pulled muscles and a concussion." Hiccup finished explaining to Eret and Dagur, who we're sitting on the other side of the campfire.

Eret was watching Nathalia, with curious and awed eyes, earlier in the day he had gotten into a conversation with the young woman and they had struck up a friendship.

" That was what you had to endure, for five days, brother I am so sorry," Dagur stated, lowering his head, Nathalia and Astrid began wrapping Hiccup in new bandages.

" Dagur it's alright, I've been through worse." Hiccup told him with a smile, Astrid knew he was lying and placed a hand on his shoulder.

" Hiccup, you've been beaten and bruised, we were all beyond worried for you," Astrid told him, Toothless warbled, the Night Fury was having his paw examined.

" They're right Hiccup, when I was branded it wasn't as bad as yours." Eret pulled his shirt down revealing a light red shape, burnt into his chest.

" Yeah, we didn't need to see that." Heather defended, she was sitting against Windshear who was being sniffed by a baby Razorwhip.

" Look, what I'm trying to say is, your brand Hiccup is basically a death sentence." The riders and a few of the Wingmaidens looked at Eret.

" What do you mean?" Astrid asked, raising her head, the dragons were as equally curious, to what Eret meant.

" That brand is how slave masters own someone." Eret continued, sitting back down against Challenger.

" If Hiccup is caught by any of the hunters, they can do whatever they want to him." Astrid, Heather, and Mala gasped, as did Nathalia, Toothless growled.

" So...so, your saying is if Hiccup is caught again, they...they could kill him?" Astrid questioned, grabbing Hiccup's hand.

" Yes, but I have a solution." Hiccup's breathing was heavy, his mind was a fog, his hands were shaking.

He thought of Ryker's sneer, the firm grip of the hunters, the whip digging deep into his skin and the cold chains, no he couldn't go back to that.

" NO!" Hiccup yelled, standing up and wincing when his muscles pulled, the riders looked at him with shock.

" Hiccup, are you alright?" Astrid asked, Hiccup became light-headed and his eyes rolled back, before he collapsed on the ground.

Astrid, Toothless, and Nathalia we're at his side in a flash, the healer checked his pulse and sighed in relief.

" He's fine, just stressed, someone, help me carry him to my hut?" Eret quickly stood up and picked Hiccup up, hauling home carefully over his shoulders.

They carted him to the healing but, carefully laying him down on the bed, as Nathalia handed Astrid a cold towel.

" Place it on his head, his fever might worsen." Astrid obeyed, pulling a stool up beside the sleeping 18-year-old and sitting the towel on his forehead.