Chapter 22 - The Auction Map

FIVE MONTHS LATER

Hunters from across the archipelago, cheered loudly around the disgustingly decorated tavern, as women who would rather be anywhere else walked around with flasks of mead.

Eret sat on the far side of the open space, his back turned to a set of Dragon Hunters, who seemed to be talking about something rather secretive.

" Grimbourne auction, what have they got on the block this time, pigs." The hunter chugged some more of his mead, the other hunter slapped him across the face.

" Insulting the Grimbourns is like wishing for your death." The other hunter retorted back, slapping the man on the shoulder.

" This time, they have promised the highest-ranked hunters..." He looked around him, seeing if anyone was listening in.

" Dragons." The hunter's eyes widened with awe, Eret smirked, this was exactly what he wanted to hear.

" Think what we could do with our own dragon, it's hide alone would set us up for life." The hunters chuckled, swinging down more of their mead.

" Only the richest Hunters get a chance of going." The hunter, wiped his mouth, Eret sipped at his mead, knowing he'd need to get back to his friend.

" So, how do you know about it?" The other hunter asked, leaning back in his chair and laughing.

" Cause I have this." The hunter pulled out a large gold coin, it had the Grimbourn crest on one side and a set of coordinates on the other.

" I got it from a low-grade Hunter, in the West, told him I'd let him live if he gave it to me, what an idiot." The two hunters cracked up laughing, drinking the last of their mead.

" Don't let that out of your sight." The larger hunter stood up, intending to go get them some more mead and maybe talk down a waitress.

Eret stretched himself out, knowing this was probably gonna end in a fistfight, before standing up and tapping the hunter on the shoulder.

" Oh, what now?" The hunter turned just in time, to be punched straight in the face, by Eret, before falling to the ground.

Eret rolled his shoulder, grabbed the coin and ran out of the tavern, before the hunter returned.

~ Line Break ~

Eret took a breather outside the tavern and took of running down towards the beach, where Hiccup was waiting.

The tall man waved his hand in the air, showing Hiccup the token, before jumping onto his dragons back.

" Eret, did you get it?" Hiccup asked the new rider, as they took off, leaving a rather cranky set of hunters searching for the man who stole the token.

" Eret?" Hiccup asked sternly, Eret looked over at Hiccup and shook his head clear, before throwing the token over.

" Yeah." Hiccup held the token up to the slowly setting sun, taking in every detail that was etched onto its surface.

" Grimbourn admittance token, each auction has a unique token and it looks like we're invited." Hiccup placed the token in Toothless' saddle bag and smiled at his friend.

" Welcome to the dragon riders." Hiccup smiled, Eret nodded, smiling down at his dragon.

Things had certainly changed in two months and Eret couldn't be happier about his new life and profession that helped people.

The former dragon hunter had bonded with a Northern Rumblehorn, he named Challenger and the two of them had become inseparable.

Over the past two months, the Defenders had built and expanded upon what was already on Hadan.

A huge village was now nestled perfectly within Hadan's secluded clearings and had several structures below the island's surface, with the dragons inspiring many of the buildings.

The Defenders blacksmith had taken hold of Hiccup's forge, the boy was glad to let the short stubby man take permanent residents of the building.

Mala was now bunking in with Astrid and Heather, well, she had insisted on staying with them, much to Throk's dismay.

The Defenders Queen had bonded with the male Gaileslash that followed her around for two days.

Mala had been rather annoyed with the dragon's persistent nature, but after Hiccup helping her bond with the sharp class dragon, she took a liking to him.

He now had the fitting name of Curious, due to his naturally curious nature to check everyone out and his friendly personality.

Eret and Throk we're both bunking in with Hiccup and Dagur, it had been cramped, but Hiccup had expanded on their hut and it was now big enough for all four.

Throk was yet to find a dragon that reflected his personality, but was happy helping his people settle into their new home.

Since Astrid's flirting attempt, she and Hiccup had drifted apart, barely even talking to each other unless it was only mission talk.

Both hated the rift that had formed between them, it reminded them of what their lives used to be like before they left Berk.

This feeling was something Hiccup knew all too well, some nights, when his phantom pains were at their worst.

He would lay awake, thinking how useless and pathetic he was, when these episodes happened, he wouldn't be able to sleep for the rest of the night.

The only way he would be able to sleep is if he went for a long flight with Toothless or spent a few hours tinkering away in the forge.

How he wished, he could tell Astrid how he felt, but nothing felt right, nothing felt perfect enough for Astrid Helena Hofferson.

Over the past two months, the war between the Hunters and Dragon riders had escalated to constant one-upping.

Viggo would capture more dragons, force them to work or sell to another hunter, Hiccup and the riders would disrupt him as much as possible.

But, what the riders were really aiming for was that one chance to cripple Viggo's business, that one chance to bring his empire down.

What Eret had just retrieved for the riders, was a one of a kind invitation talisman, that allowed any qualified Dragon Hunter entrance to a Dragon auction.

The riders had been turning over several very deep stones, just to find the right hunter who had heard of the auction.

Hiccup didn't want to admit it, but Viggo had been rather smart about keeping his auction secret.

He knew one thing, with this token and careful planning, he and the riders could save a lot of dragons, hopefully, crippling Viggo and Ryker.

The dark vertical shape of Hadan loomed over the two dragon riders, as they flew closer, hundreds of dragons rested on the various water pools dribbling down the side.

Hiccup smiled, in the three years he'd been living out here, he would never get used to seeing his home and never get bored of doing what he was doing.