Chapter 39 - White Flags

The riders were hovering over an empty ocean, between two massive sea stacks, they were waiting for Ryker.

Hiccup knew, if Ryker was going to attack Berserker island he would need to come through the twin stacks.

" Not that I don't like flying, but Hiccup, why are we hovering over an empty ocean?" Eret asked, he had been worried about the boy ever since finding Viggo.

" Because Eret, Ryker can't reach Berserk island, without passing through the twin stacks." Heather answered, smugly giving Mala a high five.

" And when they do, we're gonna burn them to a crisp!" Dagur yelled, Mala looked at the redhead and chuckled, everyone else just rolled their eyes.

" Hiccup Haddock, I know your set on ending the Dragon Hunters, but is this necessary, with Viggo, we could win the war." Throk suggested, Hiccup turned to his friend and shook his head.

" Throk, I know we have Viggo, but this is about getting the Glass Fire back and saving the dragons." Hiccup answered, looking through his spyglass.

" Hey Astrid, can you tell us which of these two sounds better?" Dagur questioned, flying up to the Nadder rider, who sighed and nodded

" My name is Hiccup Haddock, submit or feel the wrath of my favourite Yak!" Dagur yelled, pulling a pose, Heather groaned, Mala giggled.

" Hiccup doesn't even have a favourite Yak, Dagur." Astrid answered, looking at the Berserker.

" Ok, how about, you wanna battle Viggo, how about I give you a war instead!" Shattermaster suggested, earning a slap from Sleuthar.

" We don't want a war, you two, we're trying to stop one." The Triple Stryke growled, Dagur and Shattermaster poked their younger out when the dragon's back was turned.

" Guys, hunters ship, due East!" Hiccup informed, looking into his spyglass, with a concerned face.

" Wait a Thor dammed minute, is that a white flag?" Eret asked, hovering next to Hiccup, who looked back at him.

" Yeah, but that's not the weirdest thing, that's Ryker, waving the flag." The riders did a double-take, as they headed towards the ship.

~ Line Break ~

Ryker stood away from the riders, his arms crossed, as he explained what really happened back on Grimbourn island.

" Funny, that's exactly what Viggo said, when we found him." Eret deadpanned, he was standing in front of Ryker, Hiccup was furthest away.

" If I was lying then where is Viggo?" Ryker asked, looking at Hiccup, who glared at him.

" On Berserker island, in a cell, as you will be." Mala threatened, pointing a sword at the man's neck.

Ryker didn't budge, he looked at her, before moving his gaze back to Hiccup, sneering at how the boy carried himself.

" So, how's your brand, I hear they hurt?" Ryker mocked, Hiccup balled his fists and remained where he was, Astrid walked up to Ryker.

She punched him in the face and the older Grimbourn fell to the ground, cradling his jaw, looking up at the Nadder rider in shock.

" Well, I didn't know you had such a good swing, maybe you should switch sides." Hiccup growled pulling his sword out and pointing it in Ryker's face.

" Listen well Ryker, you can insult me all you like, but you will never under any circumstances insult her, or them, got it." Hiccup seethed, Ryker saw what he had never seen before, rage.

" Let me tell you something, out of me or Viggo, who has more of an interest in you, Hiccup?" Ryker questioned, sitting up, the 18-year-old looked away, sighing.

" Exactly, it's Viggo who's lost his mind, it's Viggo who came up with the Shellfire, it's Viggo who wants a war." He stated, the riders looked down at him.

" But, it's Ryker who has the Glass Fire." Hiccup pushed the sword closer to his neck, smirking.

" Great, now why don't you tell us where it is and we will be on our merry way." He asked, Ryker, chuckled, crossing his arms.

" Oh, don't worry, it's safely hidden." He assured the riders, Dagur and Eret snorted, Ryker looked at them.

" Oh, that's great another lunatic Dragon Hunter we can't trust." They exclaimed, as a terrible terror flew towards the ship, Heather held her arm out.

" Riders, a message from the Wingmaidens." The terror handed Heather a note, she read through it before gasping.

" Heather, what is it?" Astrid asked standing next to her friend, looking down at the letter.

" Atali needs help, the Shellfire is attacking their island." She ran to Windshear, allowing the Terror to sit on her lap.

The other riders ran to their dragons, Ryker stood below Hiccup, as he mounted Toothless, his hands behind his back.

" You see Hiccup that attack proves what I've been saying, bring me, Viggo, once you deal with his men then I will give you the Glass Fire." Hiccup took off into the sky, watching up to the others.

" Dagur, Eret, Mala, and Throk, you guys go to Berserker and tell Oswald that the Shellfire is coming!" Hiccup commanded the other riders, who nodded.

" What will you guys do?" Dagur asked, worried for his sister, who was waiting next to Astrid.

" Myself, Astrid, and Heather, will go to Wingmaiden island and see what we can do to help." He finished, turning around and signalling for the riders to break off.

~ Line Break ~

Dagur, Eret, Mala, and Throk flew towards Berserker at a fast pace, Dagur and Shattermaster we're rather lost in thought, before they decided to ask the others.

" Hey, did any of you guys feel anything back there?" He asked, Mala and Throk shrugged, Eret wasn't even paying attention.

" You guys have no idea what I'm talking about do you?" He asked, the dragons and riders shrugged, more focussed on getting to Berserker.

" What I mean is, something is up with Hiccup and Astrid, they are spending way too much time together." The redhead explained, Eret and Challenger we're now listening.

" What do you think is up with the Dagur?" Mala asked, smiling at him, he blushed slightly.

" Yeah, well I know what it is though, it's hard to say but, Hiccup is dying." The dragons crooned in confusion, Eret shook his head.

" Hiccup is preparing to say his goodbyes, that's why he keeps rejecting our catchphrases." Dagur finished, which earned him a growl from Shattermastet.

" That's ridiculous, it's Astrid who is dying, she's trying to spend as much time with Hiccup so she can break it to him slowly." The Gronckle retorted, Eret groaned.

" You two mutton heads have no idea how to read people, I've seen this behaviour before, Hiccup has a gambling problem." Eret informed, Throk was nodding.

" I agree, Hiccup Haddock has been rather distant lately and he must be going through a change, so Gambling is his way to deal with it." Mala and Curious groaned, which got everyones attention.

" You are all terribly wrong, I know what it is, but I swore an oath to myself to never reveal it." She announced, flying faster, the riders shrugged before going back to their argument.