Chapter 38 - Shock

The riders, alongside Oswald, his men from Berserker island and the Wingmaidens, flew quietly across the calm ocean.

Each of the riders and their dragons, were outfitted in their new armour, the riders matched their dragons perfectly.

A few days ago, Eret had given Hiccup his tattoo, the 18-year-old had chosen a tattoo of Toothless, with an intricate woven knot-like pattern around it.

Hiccup hadn't been expecting the Tattoo to turn out so good, or for it to hurt less than he had first expected.

He loved it so much, he had Eret add a few more woven tribal patterns around his upper arms and down his spine.

Astrid had been very impressed with Eret's skills, so much so that she asked him to give her matching tattoos, but of Stormfly.

She felt it was a must, to support Hiccup in his journey to recovery, as his girlfriend, Astrid just had to do it for him.

Dagur flew up to Hiccup, who was chatting with Toothless, the redhead was bursting to tell his brother the catchphrase he just came up with.

" Hiccup, my dear brother, we have been giving this catchphrase a lot of thought and here's what we have so far," Dagur stated, as he flipped his helmet mask up to talk to Hiccup.

" Is that an axe in your face or are you just happy to see me," Shattermaster growled, making his voice sound deeper.

Hiccup gave the Gronckle a rather unamused and confused look, thinking what on earth had these two been doing.

" Not good, that's fine, we have others." He gave Dagur a wink and the redhead prepared himself.

" Viggo, this is gonna hurt you a lot more than it's gonna hurt me." He announced, Toothless didn't even blink on that one.

" Good night and good luck." Shattermaster smiled, both Hiccup and Toothless looked at the two of them unimpressed.

" Wait, that's not how it goes." Dagur slapped his dragon, Hiccup facepalmed, looked back at the other riders.

" Give it a rest, will you!" Challenger yelled, Dagur and Shattermaster turned to the deep blue rumble horn.

" We didn't say you were in on this Challenger and write that down, I like it, give it a rest, will you Viggo." Dagur crossed his arms, pulling a notebook out.

" Oh, for the love of Thor, moving on." He whispered, signalling for them to break apart and swoop into the island.

Throk and Eret flew silently towards the watchtowers and the docks, only to find both empty, deserted, and a mess.

" Ah, wasn't there supposed to be Hunters working here?" Sleuthar asked, the Triple Stryke that had been rescued from the dragon fights had chosen Throk as a rider.

Hiccup was more than happy to see the dragon fulfilling his dream of living a free and happy life, out of captivity.

Dagur and Mala found every trap that had been laid in the forest and around the entire base sprung or destroyed.

" What's going on?" Mala asked, walking over to a trap and inspecting it, Dagur and the dragons shrugged, looking over at the others.

Oswald, Heather, and Atali searched the cells and barracks, there was no dragon or Hunter insight.

" This doesn't seem right." Atali pointed out, landing on a ledge, Heather nodded, as the other Wingmaidens agreed.

" It seems someone bet us here, but who?" Oswald questioned, as Hiccup and Astrid landed near Viggo's tent, which is where Ryker was supposed to be keeping guard.