Chapter 12 - The Glass Fire

It was the middle of the night, Hiccup and Toothless were running through the main plaza, trying to stay as quiet as possible.

They reached Heather's hut, which was where Astrid was staying and quietly opened the door.

Toothless and Hiccup smiled smugly at each other, before they walked up the steps to the girl's bedroom.

They waited behind the door, Hiccup counted with his fingers, before flinging the door open.

" WAKE UP!" Heather shot up in bed, she gripped her double-headed axe tightly, looking around.

" AH!" Astrid, however, sat straight up, holding a dagger in each hand and her hair was very tangled.

Both the girls had no armour on and we're just dressed in their undershirts and leggings, when they spotted Hiccup and Toothless laughing.

" You, ah, you should have seen your faces." The two boys were laughing their heads off, Heather and Astrid just started at them rather unamused.

" Heather, hand me my axe?" Astrid asked, as she got up out of her bed and glared at the boy and dragon.

" With pleasure." Heather gave Astrid her axe and the blonde walked right over to the boy.

" That's for waking us up!" Astrid kicked Hiccup to the floor, the Auburn still laughing.

" This for waking us up!" Astrid dropped her axe right on Hiccup private part, he winced, but continued laughing.

" And, this is for being you!" Astrid pulled Hiccup up by his collar and kissed him right on the lips.

Heather watched from her side of the room, internally squealing at the two of them, as they separated.

" Sorry Milady, couldn't resist." Hiccup chuckled as he stood up and rubbed his now sore parts.

" So, what do we owe the pleasure of you and your dragon waking us up in the middle of the night!?" Heather yelled, punching Hiccup in the arm.

Dagur and the dragons burst through the door, with an axe held high, Heather, Astrid, and Hiccup jumped back in surprise.

" Ok, where's the danger, Dagur the Derranged will save you!" Hiccup facepalmed, as Heather walked over to him.

" Dagur, we're not in danger, Hiccup was just about to tell us why he woke us up in the middle of the night." Heather pointed to the 18-year-old who was placing the cylinder on a stool facing the wall.

" I found something that might just change our lives forever." Hiccup kneeled down next to the device.

" Alright, bud do the thing." Toothless produced a low flame and cast it through the cylinder.

A tribe crest in the shape of a fist, with multiple different markings and writing around it, appeared on the wall.

" Whoa." All three exclaimed, looking at the strange markings with awe, as Hiccup stepped towards it.

" You got us up for this." Dagur complained, which earned him an elbow from Astrid.

" Dagur meet Hiccup, of course, he got us up for this." Dagur held his stomach and watched as Hiccup began inspecting the strange symbols.

" What do you think these markings mean?" Heather asked, she was sitting against Windshear on the ground.

" I think they make out a map or at least are clues to what this might mean." Hiccup suggested, Dagur was already yawning, but gasped when he saw the middle symbol.

" That crest, I've seen it on one of dad's invitation papers." Dagur walked up the wall and took a closer look at it.

" I think it was some type of dragon auction, but he didn't go to it due to him making peace with the dragons." Hiccup was shocked, he had no idea that there were dragon auctions.

" What language is this?" Astrid asked, taking a look at the strangely written glyphs on the wall.

" I think it's a human dialect of Draconic." Hiccup informed them, with a rather impressed smile on his face.

" How do you know that?" Dagur asked, he was back on his seat scratching Shattermaster's nose.

" I may or may not have stolen a book of Draconic dialects from that island we investigated a year ago." Dagur groaned, that mission was something he didn't want to remember.

" Of course you would be the one to steal a book about dragons." Astrid smiled, as Hiccup turned to read the writing.

" Well, are you gonna tell us what it says?" Astrid asked, Hiccup rolled his eyes and looked at the writing.

" I leave my descendants with this device, the people of this world will thank me for this gift." Hiccup read aloud, The others looked at each other in worry.

" For those who seek my families treasure, will surely receive their fear of measure." Hiccup face was ashen, that was the same message left of Johan's desk.

" That was, ah, interesting." Dagur stated, his eyes awkwardly darting between the girls and Hiccup.

Who was looking at one particular symbol, there was something about it that looked familiar.

He pulled the lens like hexagon out from his armour pouch and looked at the inscription along the edge.

" Look, they have the same inscription." Hiccup pointed the mark on the lens and the mark on the wall.

" Let me just." Hiccup looked at the back of the cylinder and twisted it anti-clockwise, it popped open, to reveal a slot, Hiccup placed the lens into it and nodded at Toothless.

The Night Fury shone his fire through it, but nothing turned up, he tried again, still nothing.

" Why isn't it working?" Heather asked, taking a closer look at the cylinder.

" Maybe this lens needs a different dragons fire to work." The girls nodded and both tried their dragons out, but nothing seemed to be working.

" Oh, let Shattermaster try." Dagur squealed, pushing his dragon over to the device, Shattermaster opened his mouth a held about a bucket's worth of lava on his tongue.

Another set of symbols and markings we're cast onto the wall and Hiccup began inspecting the language.

" Our greatest enemy for generations has declined to see that the dragons are only monsters." Hiccup read allowed pointing at the picture of an island.

" I think this Island, Caldra Cay, is another island that has fostered peace." Hiccup announced the others smiled with awe.

" These maps, inscriptions, everything on here is just begging us to see what lies beyond the Eastern borders." Hiccup proclaimed, the dragons watched with slight amusement.

" We have to find out what's out there." Hiccup turned back to the wall, the others stood behind him.

" Well, we're with you no matter what, brother." Dagur placed a hand on Hiccup's shoulder, as did Astrid.

" Before we go anywhere, we should think up a name for this thing." Windshear suggested, pointing the device on the stool, the others nodded.

" How about the Glass fire." Hiccup announced everyone in the room nodded, it was a good name.

" Then it's settled, tomorrow we travel into the Eastern Archipelago and find this Island." The others yawned in agreement, deciding to just go back to bed.