Chapter 16 - Friend or Foe

Mala led the riders through the village, giving them a tour of what her people had to offer the riders.

" That is the temple of The Wing and next to it is our healing centre, where both man and dragon can be rehabilitated." Mala pointed to a large ornate stone building and a smaller hut next to it.

" I have to say I am rather impressed, the buildings accomplish something been hoping to achieve myself." Mala looked at Hiccup puzzled, before clearing her throat.

" You hope to integrate dragons into your island?" Hiccup nodded, looking at her, Mala felt a strange feeling she had never felt before.

" Yes, we live on an island in the far west, away from the Northern tribes and any unwanted visitors." Mala smiled, this young man would certainly be the best for the job she would like him to do.

" I am rather impressed with your efforts today, your friends said you could actually talk to dragons?" Hiccup lowered his head and nodded.

" Toothless taught me how to speak Draconic or Dragoneese as some would call it." Mala widened her eyes, this was interesting, yes, he would be a perfect fit

" We have a few secrets of our own, this is sage fruit." Mala held up a pear-shaped fruit, it was a gradient from green to deep orange and had a rather interesting smell to it.

" It calms even the most aggressive dragons, even your pin tailed friend." Mala threw the fruit to Barb, who had been following Hiccup and the other riders.

The Speed Stinger happily swallowed the fruit, before rubbing her head against Hiccup's hand and warbling.

" She has taken quite a liking to you." Hiccup chuckled, giving Barb a scratch under the chin and looked back up at Mala.

" That sage fruit would be the reason why our dragons were so docile." Mala nodded, as Hiccup gave Toothless a scratch.

" Yet he was able to come to you and deter its effects, I am still impressed." Toothless gurgled at her, Hiccup rolled his eyes.

" Well, Toothless is no ordinary dragon and he says thank you." Astrid watched their exchange from where she was, she didn't like the way Queen Mala was smiling at Hiccup or how he was telling her everything.

Yes, they were a new ally, but telling them everything about them wasn't the way to gain their trust, Heather noticed Astrid's sour expression and walked up to her.

" Hey, are you alright?" Astrid clinched a bit, being caught by surprise wasn't a regular occurrence for Astrid.

" Yeah, I'm fine." Astrid turned away from Heather and looked up at the sky, trying to avoid her friend's usually pushy questions.

" Astrid, I can tell your lying, what's really wrong?" Astrid took in a deep breath, she knew hiding her feelings wasn't going to get her anywhere.

" Ok, I may or may not like," Astrid mumbled the last part, not wanting Hiccup to hear what she was saying Heather looked at her weirdly.

" What?" Astrid groaned and leaned in close to Heather, before whispering.

" I have a crush on Hiccup." Heather eyes widened and she let out a long, very audible squeal.

Hiccup, Dagur, Mala, and the dragons looked at her weirdly, she held her hands up indicating everything was fine.

" I knew it, from the moment we met you guys, I could tell you had the hots for him." Astrid wrapped her arms around her torso and bit her lip.

" You don't have to say it out loud." Heather placed both hands on her friend's shoulders and smiled.

" Astrid, listen to me, stop wasting your time with half measures get in and tell him how you feel." Heather smiled at her friend, Astrid shook her head.

" I can't, he's an oblivious muttonhead, look at the way him and Mala are talking, I can't compete with that." Heather glanced at Hiccup and Mala, before looking back at Astrid.

" Then make him notice you, do something that will attract his attention, flirt with him." Astrid thought about what Heather was saying, maybe she was right.

" Ok, but how do I do it?" Heather just looked at Astrid in a rather weirded out way.

" What do you mean?" Astrid sighed, trying to avoid anyone else looking at her.

" How do you flirt, I've never done it before?" Heather blinked a few times, then sighed.

" Ok, what you want to do is play hard to get, you want to be cute, but sassy, try to catch his eye and then you've got him." Astrid nodded, she understood what her friend was saying and would try her best.

" Your majesty, sorry to interrupt, but is your volcano supposed to be doing that?" Dagur pointed up at the volcano which was releasing a large amount of smoke.

" That should not be, the Great Protector, he should be eating the lava." Hiccup looked up at the statue, then back at the Queen.

" Mala, let us come with you to check it out, our dragons can be added protection." Mala nodded and began running up towards the volcano.

~ Line Break ~

Mala sprinted into the volcano, the entrance to the Protector's sanctuary would usually have guards stationed at it, but there was no one there.

" The Protector is gone!" Hiccup looked around at the huge space, his face littered with concern, who would steal a dragon?

" Hiccup, look." Astrid held an arrow out to him, the arrow had red fabric tied to it and a green substance on its head.

Hiccup tasted the green gel and spat it out after getting a bitter blast of it, he knew what it was and didn't want to admit it.

" Dragon root, but more potent, looks like those hunters you spoke of got here first." Hiccup handed the arrow to Mala, who looked it over and clenched her fist.

" So, you were just a distraction after all and I actually thought I." Mala didn't finish the last part, as she threw the arrow away and geared at the riders.

" Mala, this isn't what you think." Hiccup pleaded, but Mala held her hand up to stop him.

" Silence Hiccup Haddock, you've served your master well, without the Eruptodon the fate of our village is sealed and so is yours." Mala yelled at him, with tears streaming down her face.

" Mala, we didn't know about this." Hiccup held his hands up, Throk's men began to surround the riders.

" I warned you of what would happen and your people will die for what you've done, but first." Mala pulled her sword from its sheath and held it near Hiccup's neck.

" I am going to kill you myself." Hiccup looked up at Mala, fear seeping from them, as the sword inched closer to his throat.