Chapter 2 - The Kill Ring

The whole village surrounded the dragon training arena, the metal cage heaving under the multitude of Vikings. Their constant yelling fought over one another to be the loudest of them all, as they cheered watching Stoick step up onto the stage.

" Well, I can show my face in public again." Stoick announced as he stood on the stage behind the arena, his prideful smile watching over the crowd. Their chuckling and snickers rippling amongst the crowd, Astrid was walking from where her parents were to find Hiccup, hoping to talk with him.

" Now, if somebody told me that in a month, Hiccup would go from well...ah...Hiccup," Stoick answered, staggering with his words, what could he say, his son wasn't well known for being strong or athletic.

" To placing first in dragon training." Stoick began once again, his face beaming with pride, it certainly was a surprise to him. He had seen his son use this strange technique to subdue a Gronckle, it had been quite the sight for him.

" Well, I would have tied him to a mast and shipped him off, to fear he'd gone mad!"Stoick announced and the crowd went wild, their cheer mixing with his laughter, before holding his hand up to quiet them again.

" Now, here we are and no one's more surprised or more proud than I am." Hiccup listened to his father's speech, from the entrance to the arena, thinking how stupid it really was. His father proud of him, Stoick the Vast, proud of his scrawny premature son, a Hiccup, more like, his father was proud that his own son wasn't the screw up he once was.

" Today, my boy becomes a Viking, today he became one of us!" Stoick raised his fist into the air and everyone cheered. Astrid walked up behind Hiccup, as he stood at the entrance to the arena, looking up at the crowd.

" Be careful with that dragon." Astrid placed a hand on his shoulder, wiping a strand of hair from her eyes, Hiccup sighed and looked down at the ground.

" It's not the dragon I'm worried about." Hiccup looked up and watched his father stride over to his throne, before he promptly sat down on it. All his father was ever proud of was his newfound fame, he didn't appreciate Hiccup for who he was, he only wanted a son who was just as strong as him.

" What are you gonna do?" Astrid asked, flipping her hair out of her face, she didn't want to admit it, but she was scared for her friend. Over the past few hours, she had seen who Hiccup really was, he was strong, he was brave, and unlike her he was willing to be who he wanted.

" Put an end to this, I have to try." Hiccup clutched his helmet tighter and turned back to Astrid, he knew she was worried. He wasn't so scared now, it's as if all his fears had crumbled away, he was ready to face this dragon and show the village what they could achieve.

" Astrid, if something goes wrong, just make sure they don't find Toothless," Hiccup asked Astrid, who looked back at him concerned, yet he gave him a slight smile.

" I will, just promise me it won't go wrong." Astrid surged forward and hugged Hiccup, who stood there in shock. His arms gently wrapped around her form and he leaned into her hold, he didn't want to let go.

" I can't make any promises." Hiccup answered with a grin as Gobber walked around the corner, just as they separated.

" It's time Hiccup, knock him dead." Hiccup slowly walked into the arena and placed his helmet on his head. The crowd went wild, as Gobber pulled the arena door closed and Astrid leaned up against it, Stoick scooted forward in his chair, watching his son as Hiccup grabbed a shield and dagger. His father watched him, internally judging what weapon his son chose, it was surprising to see him choose the dagger.

" I'm ready." Hiccup answered and took in a deep breath, holding his shield up and dagger up. The barred door to the Monstrous Nightmare cage, slowly opened and Hiccup braced himself.