Thirty Six

I sighed as I looked around the room, sipping slowly on my Bloody Mary every now and then glancing at the big clock that hung on the wall in front of me. We had been here for about three hours and though the atmosphere was vibrant, I still couldn't wait to leave. People chattered, laughed, ate and drank while the pleasant sound of the instrumentals played throughout the room. It was a lovely environment and if not for the fact that my anxiety was through the roof, I might have been able to sit back and relax. I scanned the room for my man in a pink suit and spotted him near the back talking to some men in black suits. I rolled my eyes, everyone here was dressed in expensive suits and dresses but they all looked so bland, only Elias  dared to stand out, to let the world know that he was here and that was something I absolutely loved about him. He didn't mean to leave me alone but the minute we walked into the room, he was already being dragged left and right by different men.

"Elias," A man had exclaimed just as we walked out the elevator. "Long time no see, come, you must have your first drink with me." He exclaimed pulling him away without giving him the chance to talk to me. Elias had managed to weasel himself away from conversations every now and then to be with me.

"I'm sorry." he spoke," But don't worry, tonight I'll be all yours." He whispered into my ear before allowing himself to be dragged into another conversation again, shooting me one of his infamous smirks. I didn't mind so much being alone, it gave me the chance to think and not have to talk to all these people I didn't know. I almost forgot that some of these men were dangerous people and I couldn't decipher for the life of me who they were, I guess that that was why Elias was here.

"So, which one's yours." A woman asked as she stood next to me, a glass of bourbon in her hands. I blinked as I stared at her, not really knowing whether she was one of the good guys or bad guys, Elias told me to be careful but, she seemed friendly. She was wearing a tight, navy blue gown that did her figure justice and her blonde hair hung past her shoulders in waves. She looked eerily similar to someone I knew but I could really point out who.

"Excuse me?" I asked again, realizing I had been silent for too long, a fact which I tried to cover up by pretending I hadn't heard her the first time.

"Which one's yours?" She repeated, nodding towards the clustered groups of men that would laugh together and pat each other on the back, talk about football, women and their expensive suits.

"Uhm, Elias Van Dyke." I answered timidly, taking another sip of my drink. She looked at me with a surprised expression, a brow raised in amusement. I wasn't going to lie, the woman intimidated me, she was gorgeous, the kind of woman you saw in the magazines that men pined over.

"The hottie in the pink suit, damn you're a lucky bastard. Not only is he just breathtakingly hot, he's also genuinely a good person." She answered, finishing her bourbon before ordering another glass. Now, it was my turn to be surprised.

"Wait, you know Elias?"

"Yeah, I do." She smiled fondly and I couldn't help but frown a little, jealousy coming out to play.She noticed my expression and laughed, patting my hair as if I was a child.

"Don't you worry your pretty little head, I didn't have a thing with your man."Her smile faltered slightly as she got serious. "He saved me and my sister from the Red Light district in this very city. He helped the both of us get back on our feet and I decided that I wanted to be like him and save girls in positions that I was in. My husband and I are here for the same reason Elias is, trying to scope out the wolves in sheep clothing, the perverts who are here pretending to be good people."

"Oh," I responded, unsure of what to say.

"Did he save you too?"

"No, I saved myself."I answered quietly, finishing the rest of my drink and placing it on the tray of a passing waitress.