Fifteen

"Keep your head down." Adam ordered sternly as the sound of another gunshot was heard from behind us. Without arguing,I put my head down. I looked at Adam, tears falling down my cheek as fear tugged at my heart, "Stay here. I'll be right back!"

"Adam? Wait, No!" I tried to call him back but he was already out the car, pulling a gun out from the front compartment. My eyes widened in shock and terror and I let out a scream when he suddenly started shooting. I kept my head down as soft sobs erupted from my mouth. The thought of dying had often crossed my mind, especially with all the trauma I had been through these past few years. However it's one thing to contemplate to death and another to actually be confronted with it. As I sat there, with my head down, my arms holding it as if it could protect me from a murderous bullet, I recalled forgotten memories of being in this exact situation almost a year ago.

"Where, where are we going?" I asked timidly, Luca was sat beside me, his hands on the wheel as he effortlessly drove what seemed to be a brand new yellow mustang convertible. He put his hand on my thigh, a smile on his lips.

"Bella, can't I take you out?" He asked, pressing on the gas to drive faster, the wind whistled past my ears and I gripped tightly onto my seat belt. He was in a good mood, an unusually good mood. He had woken me this morning by showering with me kisses before gently, emphasis on gently, asking me to get dressed as we were going out. It didn't take long for us to arrive at our destination, before I could even blink, Luca was by my side, opening the door for me. I was confused by his sudden acts of kindness and an eerie sense of impending doom seemed to take over me. He placed a blind fold over my eyes before I could even utter a word of protestation and I began to panic internally, my heart beating profusely. As he lead to me wherever he was bringing me, I could feel the atmosphere change. The air was suddenly warm and humid and the strong sense of chlorine hit my nostrils. Suddenly, he took off the blind fold and I blinked several times, my eyes attempting to adjust to the sudden exposure to light. He had brought me to water park, a place I used to love going to with my parents. As I stood there, I waited for Matteo or Lorenzo to jump out or for him to suddenly change demeanor. I mean, this had to be some sort of a trick, there was no way he was doing this out of the goodness of his heart.

"Piccola, why are you just standing there?" He laughed, " Andiamo a nuotare!"

"I, I didn't bring anything to swim with." I stuttered nervously, scared I'd somehow provoke him. He smiled cheekily, reaching into a bag and holding up a skimpy looking two-piece bathing suite. 'There's no way, I'm wearing that!' I wanted to yell but I knew what was best for me and kept quiet. I took the bikini from his hand before walking towards the changing rooms. I quickly changed not wanting to keep him waiting before scurrying back to where I had left him.Upon seeing me, I saw his eyes darken with lust as he eyes scoured every part of my body. Soon, the lust was replaced with a brief look of guilty as he saw the numerous sets of bruises and scars that littered my body.

"Venire." He said, grabbing my hand as he lead me through the empty water park, I assumed he rented the place out. He put our things down before leading me to the nearest water slide, he climbed up but in the process of helping me up he slipped and fell backwards into the pool. I gasped and held my hands to my mouth before a small giggle erupted from it. Luca's head emerged from the water and he stared at me seriously causing me to shut up instantly. Then the strangest thing happened, he laughed and I laughed and we continued like that for the rest of the day. Laughing and enjoying each other's company, forgetting the troubles that surrounded us.

By the time, the sun had began to set and we were walking back to the car hand in hand, I had almost forgotten who I was, who he was and what my life was. I glanced at the car, my smile faltering slightly as I realized that the minute we got back home, Luca would go back to be his ruthless, unforgiving self. Luca noticed my change in demeanor and halted in his step, forcing me to stop as well.