Chapter Twenty-Nine: "Clockwork"

A/N: Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for reading, commenting, and offering encouragement/kudos. <3 I am consistently left smiling and/or speechless by everyone's kindness. Thank you for taking the time to read. Truly, it means a great deal. <3 I hope you all had a lovely week with lots of tea and coziness, and that 2021 has treated you well thus far. <3

As always, I do not own the rights to these characters or to this story world.

Please forgive any typos or mistakes. I need to adjust my writing schedule, because we've been stuck editing rather late in the week for several weeks in a row. (Yikes). I hope to get back to the earlier Monday morning uploads soon!! <3

Playlist: "Satellite" by WYS (April 28, library), "Hit the Road Jack" by 2WEI feat Jon and Bri Bryant (April 28, Ministry until Harry leaves, and then after he returns, again), This is going to sound weird, but the first 35 seconds or so of "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" by ABBA (April 28, Ministry, when Harry's out of the room). "Godspeed" by James Blake (April 28, back at the flat), A clock ticking sound effect of your choice (April 29, Gringotts), "Hit the Road Jack" again (April 29, in Gringotts when Hermione pulls out her book until they leave), "Wait" by M83 (April 29 when Hermione enters the shop), "Warriors" by 2WEI and Edda Hayes (April 30, when you see the little building until reality sucks away), "Are You With Me" by nilu (April 30, at the flat until the last scene), "Satellite" by WYS again (April 30, after eating/last scene).

 Random note: Happy birthday Aurora! :) <3

Grab your snack (Maybe oatmeal with almonds in it or something similarly warm and satisfying?), your drink (I've got coffee and Earl Grey tea in front of me), and your warmest socks. Let's dive in. <3

------

Hermione

April 28, 2003

They had fewer than seven days to get a thousand Galleons.

The fine was due on May fifth, with the rent. The clock was ticking, and Hermione Jean needed a miracle.

She took a swig from the tea thermos before sneaking it back under the table. The Wizarding study room's occupants were few—they'd come just after the library's opening. She stretched, shaking the exhaustion from her limbs. The fine's papers had arrived just before midnight, and they'd forgone sleep in favor of preparation. Six days to get a loan, or to successfully challenge the fine in court.

Now, they were attacking the problem from both sides. She scratched out a section of the legal draft, rewording the claim they were making to better emphasize the fine's sporadic nature. She couldn't support "unprecedented," but she could support "sporadic," seeing as Vane had waited quite a while to levy it. Hermione pulled another notebook from her bag, and the note from Healer Marcus tumbled out.

It'd arrived just before they floo-ed.

"A likely result of stress or strain sustained during the altercation. Take it easy, and come in if you feel the need, or if there's any further regression."

His signature was scrawled across the bottom.

She couldn't stop looking at the word "Regression."

Earlier that morning, George had bobbed his head as he read it, then paced over to make the tea. Hadn't said a word. Only started the kettle and laid a warm hand on her head when she crossed over to help him.