Chapter Thirty-Eight: "Fidelius"

A/N: 

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry editing took me a bit longer than expected. This is another double-feature. <3 Thank you so much for your patience. And, as always, thank you for reading, and/or commenting/giving kudos. You all are so lovely, and your kindness is very much appreciated. <3 <3 (A random side note: Happy birthday, Michaela! <3)

My brain is goop, so I'm going to polish the playlist after I get some sleep. <3 I hope that's alright! (Please forgive any typos/errors. I always miss things, and doubly so when I'm tired.)

As always, I do not own the rights to these characters or to this story world.

For now, grab your snack (Peanut Butter Biscuits, maybe), your drink (I have tepid coffee, but I'm not sure I recommend it. :p) and your favorite blanket. Let's dive in. <3

Playlist Fragments:
"Deeper" by Shawn Hook (Generally)
"Falling Like the Stars" by James Arthur (Feb. 1, --When there is mention of a train, and also George brings up the cooking skills)
"Ephemerality" by Kainbeats & cxlt (Feb. 1, 8:30 p.m.)
"Arcade" by Duncan Laurence/"Time" by M83 (Feb. 1, 8:30 p.m. --When they enter the castle)
"The Wisp Sings" by Winter Aid (Feb. 1 --the sixteenth nook)
"500 Miles" by the The Proclaimers (Feb. 2, --When you see Marcus)
"What Love Is" by Tom Gregory (Last scene)
"In Your Arms" by Illenium & X Ambassadors (Generally)

------------------

George

February 1, 1999, 8:03 p.m.

Kissing Hermione Jean was, simply put, wonderful. So lovely, in fact, that George quite forgot to worry about Ron, or everything that could go wrong—instead, wrapped up in the awe of this most impossible development.

Hermione Jean fancied him, at least a little. Maybe a bit more than a little. At least enough to kiss him back in the manner she was—which, was in the same manner that she took on every other matter of importance. Determinedly.

Through the bumping noses, the unlearnedness, the blasted tremors of disbelief and elation working through his arms as sparks surged to a bright, overpowering river behind his eyes and ribs. Hermione doggedly kissed him through all of it.

The plucky witch had a firm grip on his shoulders, which she'd pulled on until he was sufficiently drawn down to her. Hunter green sleeves looped around his neck, and George could've cried with happiness.

Consonance.

The light in his chest pressed against his ribs, and he felt a familiar glaze falling over him.

Say the promise. He was supposed to say the promise, now.

But another thought rose up in him—one that sounded clearer headed and less like a git. Patience, it assured him.

He could wait. For now, this little shred of Heaven was something to be treasured.

The toes of his boots nudged on either side of hers. She slipped her fingers into his hair, along the back of his head. George's brows shot upwards.

Oh, that was—

She carded through the strands, slicing his thoughts to bits.

—disarming.

The glow flushed over his crown, and George's locked knees buckled.

Traitors.

He exhaled a stunned sputter as he stumbled and reeled for purchase. His right hand smacked against the glass pane a few inches behind and over her shoulder.