Chapter Twenty-Seven: "Haunted"

Author's Note: Hello everyone!

This is double-feature length (oops). Happy end of December. <3 I expect the next chapters to return to a more reasonable length, but it's been fun really diving in during this month!

I'm going to keep this short and sweet, because I've been sitting at the monitor for quite some time (having fun!!) and I'm a little tired. <3 Please forgive any typos/errors. My eyes almost certainly missed some. <3

Thank you so much for reading, for commenting, and for being kind. <3 You all are so wonderful. I believe this chapter places us at just over a quarter of a million words, which is mind blowing to me. Thank you for coming along for the ride, for taking the time to read, and for just being generally excellent.

As always, I do not own the rights to this story world or to these characters.

Playlist: "Survivor" by 2WEI & Edda Hayes (Opening), "One More Light" by Linkin Park (at the unfamiliar spell), "Ashes" by The Longest Johns (generally through the next several scenes, up until April 22), "Andante, Andante" by Abba (you'll know--also, thank you to the reader who suggested this a while back <3), "It's Been a Year" by Tom Rosenthal (The library and April 22, 5pm, another shoutout to the reader who suggested this song as well <3), "Sparks" by Coldplay (April 24), "Unsteady" by X Ambassadors (April 24, after Fred shows up), "Ghost of You" by 5 Seconds of Summer (End of April 24 through April 25), "The Polar Express" (from the movie soundtrack--Almost all of April 26, except for the portion when Hermione walks into the hallway), "Shield" by Wys (April 26, after Hermione walks into the hallway, until Teddy bangs on the door), "The Polar Express" (again, for the rest of April 26), "The Wisp Sings" by Winter Aid (April 26, all the way until the record player), "Love is Strange" by Mickey & Sylvia (You'll know/the record player), "Friedrich Dances With Jo" by Alexandre Desplat (after the record ends).

Alright: Grab your snack (this week, I'd recommend chicken noodle soup or something equally satisfying--whatever that may be for you), your drink (maybe a latte this week?), and your favorite blanket. Let's dive in.

----

Hermione

April 18, 2003

Hermione Jean was no stranger to time's uneven current. Since the day McGonagall handed her a time turner just before her fourteenth birthday, the stuff seemed to move differently around her. When things became messy, when she got upset—time felt like less of a linear progression and more of a shaky, undependable matter that stretched out the terrible moments and skipped the good ones.

This was no different.

Fear yanked through her middle, raw and visceral.

As the grey spiderwork slithered towards George's jawline, he stiffened, and his head flew back. His mouth opened as his body went rigid, and a small wisp of blue filtered into the air.

Harry's shout was warped, echoing slowly over the cobblestone, and the steel wall in Hermione's head clanged. A terrible pain surged from the noise, pounding against her skull.

There was no Dementor above him, but George's eyes were the color of the withered hands. The ragged cloaks. The lostness.

The pressure built behind her temples, and the wall flexed. Hermione doubled over.

The metal screeched in her mind as a rent opened, right down the middle, and gold and black currents poured from the gap, burning and freezing as they ripped through the library and out, into her eyes. Her chest turned to fire.