Chapter Seventeen: "Arresto Momentum"

***Edit 2/7: I've started to go back and include the chapter trailers I've posted to tiktok each week and Author's notes included on AO3 that were previously not included on Wattpad until later chapters. This is as far back as I've gotten in including these features, and if they're not your cup of tea, just scroll to the line. <3

A/N: 

First: AAAAAAAAAAA

Second: One hundred thousand words. How is that possible? 
I am thoroughly dazed right now, but so grateful for the kindness shown to me by you all. Much love to you all. <3
Thank you for your comments, clicks, and encouragement! <3

The songs for this week are "Wonder" by Shawn Mendes and "Fragile" by Kygo & Labrinth (especially in the last scene).

Please forgive any mistakes you find. <3

As always, I do not own the rights to these characters or story world.

Grab yourself a hot tea and maybe a scone, bundle up in your warmest blanket, and let's dive in.

------------------------------------------------

Hermione

February 13, 2003

Hermione stepped from her room, rubbing her bleary eyes on her pajama sleeve.

"Morning," George's drawl drew her attention to the stove, where he stood over a pan. She crossed to the stool at the bartop, sliding into it. George shoveled eggs—scrambled this time, onto a couple of plates. He leaned over her shoulder, placing a dish in front of her.

"I did set aside a bit of shell, just in case you wanted it," he said. She reached back, pushing on his arm without looking.

"You're terrible," she said.

"No—" George said, sliding into the seat beside her. "I believe what you said is that I'm cute." Hermione face went hot, the blush licking all the way from her throat to her forehead.

He took an oversized bite, brows raised at her. "Or, bloody cute, rather," he said after he swallowed.

"I didn't say that," she said, her voice was faint as she scraped her eggs around the plate.

"Relax, Granger, I'm only joking," George said, nudging her with an elbow.

"I believe what I said is that you think you're bloody cute," Hermione said, ducking her head and taking a bite. If she had to endure some teasing for an effort-free breakfast, then that was just as well. George's cooking was worth it.

The company wasn't bad, either.

"Oh, my mistake," George said, grinning. Somehow, his teasing made the situation better. Less awkward and more like a funny joke. George was good at that—she'd have to add it to his column in her journal later.

"Made you something this morning." He pulled a paper flower from his apron pocket, holding it out to her. The stem was rolled parchment, but the petals were sparkling and golden, little shimmers spinning out across their surface.

"That's remarkable, George," Hermione said, beaming up at him. His cheeks went pink, and he ducked his head, clearing his throat.

"May I?" he said and gestured to her ear. Hermione bit back a smile, nodding. George leaned in, and his thumb brushed her face as he tucked the stem there, against her temple. "It's only a prototype, but we're thinking of selling them." His voice was soft in his concentration.