Chapter Fourteen: "Occlumens"

George

August 3, 1997

George walked about the flat in a haze, stepping numbly from one task to the next. Fred wouldn't stop watching him, but his brother didn't speak. Somewhere deep inside, George knew that Fred was waiting for him to talk first, but he didn't have it in him.

It was easier to shut off, to do his work, and to go to sleep once he was through.

#

August 4, 1997

"Muggle-born Register"

"The Ministry of Magic is undertaking a survey of so-called 'Muggle-borns,' to better understand how they came to possess magical secrets. Recent research undertaken by the Department of Mysteries reveals that magic can only be passed from person to person when wizards reproduce. Where no proven wizarding ancestry exists, therefore, the so-called Muggle-born is likely to have obtained magical power by theft or force.

The Ministry is determined to root out such usurpers of magical power, and to this end has issued an invitation to every so-called Muggle-born to present themselves for interview by the newly appointed Muggle-born Registration Commission.

When asked about the new legislation, a Wizengamot official who spoke on the condition of anonymity said, "These mudbloods are finally being exposed for what they are—usurpers, thieves, and criminals. I'm glad to see the Ministry doing something about it, especially during such turbulent times."

Four days. Four days was all it took for the ministry to begin rounding up Mugglebornes. George shoved the paper into a drawer and gripped the table. Hard. His stomach lurched, and before he knew what was happening, he was throwing up. As he choked and heaved, Charlie's voice echoed in his mind:

"That word—it was used by the worst sort. The kinds of people who would hurt mugglebornes and try to take their magic away. A lot of innocent people died."

Hermione.

Fred found him, kneeling over the bin, resting his forehead against its edge.

#

August 7, 1997

Lupin stood inside their flat, watching the street through the windows.

"D'you think they'll stay long?" George asked, trying to keep his voice even.

"No," Lupin said quietly.

"But they were all there—safe?" George asked, just to make sure.

Lupin braced his hand against the wall, beside the windowpane. "For now. Harry seems intent on setting off on their own."

George hated himself for it, but he couldn't keep the question from his lips. "How did Granger look?"

Lupin turned, and George saw the surprise register on his face.

"And Ron?" He'd added it on too late. The gears were already turning in Lupin's mind. "Mum'll want to know." His heart sped in his ribcage, and he tightened his fists.

"She's looking after them, as always," Lupin said. Something in the man's countenance had shifted. A cold sweat broke over George's brow. It was pity. He was seeing pity on Lupin's face.

"I'll let her know, then," George said. "Keep us informed."

#

August 14, 1997

George sat on the sofa, feet up on the coffee table, staring listlessly at the wall. Fred paced in the kitchen behind him. Back and forth. Back and forth. George didn't flinch.