Chapter Twenty-Five: "Riptide"

Author's Note: Hi everyone!

Happy Monday. <3

Thank you so much for the kindness and encouragement over Fever Fudge! <3 Your taking the time to read means so much to me.

Our songs for this week are as follows: "Walk Home" by Stephen James Taylor, "Experience" by Ludovico Einaudi (for most of April 12), "Chiquitita" by Abba (you'll know), "One More Light" by Linkin Park (April 13), "Riptide" by Vance Joy (for the first bit of April 18), "Survivor" by 2WEI & Edda Hayes (for April 18, after Harry starts talking with Hermione), "Leaves from the Vine" by Atinpiano/"Fragile" by Kygo & Labrinth (April 18, after she apparates).

Additional details: There's a chess match in this chapter, and it's modeled after Morphy's "Opera Game." If you'd like a visual, here's a link: https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/master/765

*****

Content Warning: This chapter includes substance use for medicinal purposes. [SPOILERS, for those who need them: The substance does not affect the character's psychological state, it is a potion to restore energy, and they have to take it regularly to be able to manage throughout the day.]

*****

This chapter is a ride. So, please grab a good snack this time (Maybe some oatmeal raisin cookies), and hot cocoa or strong coffee. I would also recommend your coziest jumper, for good measure. Remember: This isn't the end.

Let's dive in.

---

Hermione

April 11, 2003

Steam wafted from her cup of coffee, resting just to the side of her duvet-wrapped elbow. The sky was beginning to purple, and Hermione was laying on the floorboards of the living room, at the center of a system of books. The tomes spiraled outwards in every direction. The ones closest to her discussed diagnostic methods and advances in modern healing approaches. Beyond those were a thick ring of tomes discussing curses and curse treatment, and just beyond that were the distant, far-flung theory books. Methods that probably wouldn't work, but that she'd be willing to try if it came to it. Most of the volumes were open, and some were marked with scraps of parchment to hold her place.

It was easier to think with everything spread out.

She took a draught of the coffee, peeking over at the study door. Inside, George slept. He'd insisted on dragging the sleeper sofa back to its original place after Fred and Angelina had returned to their cottage the day before. She tried to tell him to keep the larger bed, but he'd refused in the most irksome way, insisting that he'd rather have her take it.

As though she had use for it.

Hermione took a large gulp of the coffee and shifted her gaze to the window. The purple melted through the black, the barest hint of orange seeping into the horizon.

Hermione watched it, unmoving, and took another sip of her coffee. Then she inhaled deeply, rested the mug on the floor, and turned the page.

She read through the bits about diagnostic magic again, specifically the subsection on a fascinating practice called "Rune Tapping." The book hinted at diagnostic spells that revealed deeper levels of runes—things that went beyond information about broken bones or scraped hands and into details about the state of the individual's magical signature. The section was entirely too brief, and most of the information was relayed as theory rather than method. As it was a relatively new theory, the book only mentioned one wizard as a developer and practitioner—Edwin Bailey. The name was familiar. Bailey was littered throughout Ancient Runes textbooks, lauded for most of the advancements in the field since the 1930's.