Chapter Forty-One: "Aconite"

A/N:

Hello, all!

Thank you so much for your patience this week, especially as I continue to work to balance writing with productivity goals and sleeping. <3 I want to include here that the next update will likely be on May 10, as I am hoping to be able to receive a certain type of "hug potion" of sorts, and I am budgeting time for recovery from that, just in case. That being said, if things don't go according to plan, I will keep you all updated in this note, as per usual! <3 Thank you so, so much for being positive and understanding with all of this.

<3 <3 Thank you also for reading, commenting, and/or offering kudos/encouragement last week!! <3 I hope you all had a lovely week.

My sincere apologies for any typos or mistakes I missed while editing! <3

As always, I do not own the rights to these characters or to this story world.

Playlist:
"Planetarium Stickers on a Bedroom Ceiling"/"Constellations" by The Oh Helloes (First couple paragraphs, really/May 14, 9:05 a.m.)
"Always" by John Legend/"I do" by Aloe Blacc and LeAnn Rimes (First bit/May 14, 9:05 a.m. --When Arthur says "Molly")
"Comforting You" by WYS (Generally)
"Hold On" by Kainbeats/"Asleep on the Train" by Tom Rosenthal (May 14, 9:15 a.m. --when you see Harry)
"When It Feels Like This" by Maisie Peters (May 14, 7:45 p.m. --at the mention of the conversation being painful & May 15, late, after they're done brewing and go inside.)
"One More Light" by Linkin Park (May 15, 8:00 a.m.)
"Jukebox Hero" (May 16, 7:30 p.m. --you'll know)
"Wolves Among Sheep" and "Unleash the Drakar" by Saunder Jurriaans & Danny Bensi (May 16, 7:30, p.m. --after Ginny yells).

Grab your snack (Maybe a blueberry scone this week?), your drink (I had cold brew with almond milk, this go around), and your coziest blanket. Let's dive in. <3

-----

Hermione

May 14, 2003, 9:05 a.m.

There were an assortment sounds that Hermione knew, above all else, she would never forget.

The steel clang of lighthouse railing, catching on her Mary Jane heel. The crackle of the record needle and her Mum's soft laugh. The chime of the bell when Minerva McGonagall approached her parents' townhouse. The low, throaty chuckle of the Sorting Hat proclaiming "Gryffindor!" after she'd argued with it for almost four minutes. The booming, wonderful music of George Weasley's laughter in the common room as Fred went on and on about the Filibuster empire's numbered days. The crackle of Ron's voice on the telephone, saying, "Listen, I know you don't care for Quidditch, but Dad's got these tickets, and the whole family wants you to come along." The terrible screeching of the Hogwarts band, grinding to a halt as Harry screamed a clipped, broken voice— "I couldn't leave him! Not there!" The stilted titter of Umbridge's hem-hem in the middle of Dumbledore's welcoming speech. The roar of fire, consuming the Burrow. The whistle of spellfire and storm on thestral back. The percussive weave of fiddle and drum and her own breath spilling in an uneven giggle as George Weasley spun her around Bill and Fleur's wedding reception and a slight, yet confusing curiosity built in her chest. The endless, echoing silence outside the tent when Ron had walked off and not come back. Bellatrix's screech. The golden pop of time as Fred Weasley opened his eyes. The brutal crack of ice. George's low, amused tone saying "Surely, you must've known," and "Let's do this proper—" and also "even then" and "I am in love you" mixed with a million other small sounds he made every day. The snorts, the sighs, the loping cadence of those brown, leather boots on all manner of flooring—the music of George which she had been steadfastly learning in the same manner that a child learns to walk.