Chapter Twenty-Three: "Vigil"

A/N: Hello everyone!

Really cutting it down to the wire with this one, but HERE WE ARE. I've been editing all night, and I know I didn't catch every mistake, but, at this point, I'm air drumming to Journey and more than a little bit lost to the world. Please forgive any errors. <3

I hope this week finds you all safe and well. <3

Thank you so much for the support, for reading, and for commenting. <3 <3 <3

As always, I do not own the rights to this storyworld or to these characters.

This week, our songs are as follows: "Leaves from the Vine" by AtinPiano/"Icarus" by Bastille, "Train Wreck" by James Arthur, "Atlas: Touch" by Sleeping at Last, "Yellow" by Coldplay, "Sparks" by Coldplay (This was suggested by a reader a few weeks ago, so thank you!), "Healing Waters" by Starship, and "Pure Imagination" by Rook1e/"Open Arms" by Journey.

This chapter is a lot. But, hold tight, okay?

Grab your snack (definitely something warm this week--like a cinnamon roll), your drink (I highly recommend hot cocoa with this chapter), and your softest blanket. Let's dive in.

-----------

Hermione

April 4, 2003

George's eyes were dazed and unfocused, and his body folded like a paper doll as he dropped, unseeing, towards oblivion.

Hermione Jean leaned over the railing, her arm outstretched. The scream was hoarse as it tore from her throat: "Carpe Retractum!"

Stay with me.

The spell uncoiled from her hand as a bolt of golden lightning, arcing through the space between them. It collided with George's chest in a surge of purple sparks, and then it caught. George's body lurched in mid-air, his head and limbs snapping back at the sudden tension.

The tether solidified, and in the span of a single second, she could feel it—the battered beat of his heart, the shallow breath in his lungs, the magic's force tying them together, for better or worse.

She wasn't strong enough.

Her feet ripped from the ground as the tie yanked her over the barrier, her wand left on the floor of the Quidditch box.

The cord of light accelerated her fall, dragging her to him like a magnet. She slammed against his chest, the air whistling in her ears.

Gravity, gravity.

Destination. Determination. Deliberation.

Hermione's center jolted, but they didn't move.

They couldn't apparate.

"Arresto—" She choked on the words of the spell. "—Momentum." Her magic fizzled. It wasn't focused enough to caste by hand again.

This was it.

Hermione blinked at the ground and tucked her head against George's chest.

The other Hermione would've saved him.

"Arresto Momentum!"

Gravity's claws receded at the sound of Ron's bellow, and the air became thick and heavy, like sand.

A flash of green streaked towards them. The Harpie whistle shrilled as Ginny Potter, fastest chaser in the league, reached them, swooping under and plucking them from the sky. Hermione's ribs slammed against the back of the broomstick, her grip on George slipping as he dangled, unconscious on the other side of it. The broom dipped.