Chapter Forty-Four: Forage

A/N: Hello everyone! <3

I hope the last few weeks have treated you well! I have about two brain cells left after editing, so I'm going to keep this short. <3 <3 <3

Thank you so much for the encouragement and kindness on the last chapter, and thank you for taking the time to read and/or kudos/comment!!! <3 <3

As a side note: Happy birthday, Ashton! You're a wonderful human, and I hope your birthday was incredible. :)

Playlist:
-The Boreas album by The Oh Hellos fits rather well for the first couple scenes (Feb. 15)
-"London Bridge is Falling Down" by Peter Bradley Adams (Feb. 16 & Feb. 17, 11:15 a.m.)
-"I'll Be There" by Walk Off the Earth (Feb. 17, when you see the blue eyes, through the next day)
-"Torches" by The Oh Hellos (Feb. 18, 4:15 p.m.)
-"Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond (Feb. 18 --When Hermione says 6'3 through the rest of the day)
- "Irish Coffee" by Wys (Feb. 20, 8:15 a.m.)
- "My Tears Are Becoming a Sea" by M83 (Feb. 20, 9:57 a.m., when they join hands.)
-"Where the Boats Go" by M83 (Feb. 20, 3:30 p.m.)
- "Otherside" by Perfume Genius (Feb. 21, at the pond and after)
- "On and On and On" by ABBA (Feb. 23, you'll know)
- "Does Your Mother Know" by ABBA (Feb. 23, you'll know)

As always, I do not own the rights to these characters, or to this story world.

Alright! Grab your snack (I recommend carrot cake this week), your drink (I've got a matcha latte today!), and your favorite blanket. Let's dive in. <3 <3 <3

*******Content Warnings: Anxiety, Mental Healthcare Topics
(MODERATE SPOILER: this chapter includes discussion and a bit of exploration about ethics surrounding wizarding mental health services and professional standards of care in the story world. [SPOILER INCOMING] A potential change in care provider is discussed as a result of story elements. I did my best to treat this topic respect while remaining true to the characters, but it is a complex issue, and one that I am certainly not a professional in. If you'd rather skip that bulk of content, it occurs on Feb. 16 and the first scene on Feb. 17.

Second [mild spoiler]: This chapter includes an anxiety attack. If you'd rather skip that content, skip the scene scene on Feb. 23, directly after the pond, until "footsteps crunched through the snow." <3
***********

------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Forty-Four: Forage

George

February 15, 1999, 12:07 a.m.

Hermione leaned over the railing of their lodge, stray curl twisting in the pine-scented breeze. The crests of the surrounding mountains lined the sky, and the windows of the cabin with the A-lined roof at their backs reflected the landscape. The smooth lake before them shone with the setting sun's light. George edged closer, tucking an arm around her shoulders without speaking.

She nestled into her favorite spot, just there, in the crook of his arm. A few streaks of grey glinted in the curly, brown bun atop her head. Childish laughter chimed in the trees, just out of sight, and the light grin lines around Hermione's eyes bunched up as she glanced in that direction.

"Shall we dare for five minutes of peace?" she asked.

"At least," George said with a tired sigh, drawing his other arm around her. The hunter green jumper was looking rather threadbare, these days. He'd have to caste another mending charm on it soon.

He coasted his arm up and down her sleeve to coax a bit more heat through the fabric. Absentmindedly, he began to press small kisses to the skin on her forehead, which carried a few additional lines from the passage of time, but it was still every bit as lovely as it had been years before. Better, even.