Chapter 39

Beautiful Lady Under the Moonlight (The Test)

"So... You want me to invest in your father's company? Give me a good reason why I should do that." Mr. Mori sternly said at nagkatinginan kami ni Kent. Alam kong gusto niyang magsalita pero mas gusto kong ako ang makiusap sa lolo ko. May pagkaimpulsive kasi si Kent kapag pakiramdam niya naaagrabiyado ako, at baka kung ano na naman ang masabi niya kay Mr. Mori.

Hinawakan ko ang kamay niyang nakapatong sa kanyang hita para pigilan siya sa pagsasalita, at muling bumaling kay Mr. Mori.

"T-to be honest, Sir, I can't really think of a good reason to give you. My father's company's facing various lawsuits, one after the other. All because of the arson that transpired in one of our company's cargo vessels. Almost all of our investors want to pull out their investments in our company, and without your help, my dad might lose his company. If I wanted, I could have opted to give you a flowery speech, telling you a beauty pageant-worthy answer, but I don't want to lie to you, Sir. That's the least that I could do in exchange for your help." I answered as I tried to keep the tears that were threatening to fall at bay, and Mr. Mori stared blankly at me. Napalunok ako nang dahil sa hindi niya mabasang ekspresyon habang nakatingin sa akin, kinakabahan na baka tanggihan niya kami.

Naramdaman kong humigpit ang kapit ni Kent sa aking kamay para bigyan ako ng lakas ng loob. Ilang saglit pa bago muling nagsalita si Mr. Mori.

"Sokka (I see)... Alright. I'll invest in your dad's company but in one condition..." Mr. Mori said, at nagliwanag ang aming mukha ni Kent. Napatakip ako sa aking bibig sa galak at gusto nang magtatatalon pero kailangan kong pigilan ang sarili ko dahil kailangan ko pang makipag-usap ng ayos kay Mr. Mori.

"Thank you, Sir! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts! Rest assured whatever condition that may be, I will honor it and do the best that I can to fulfill the terms." Masaya kong sambit and the corner of Mr. Mori's mouth twitched.

"It's too early to celebrate young lady. You see, my condition before investing is not that easy to fulfill..." He uttered with a serious look and the joy that I felt just a few moments ago died down a little. Umupo ako ng ayos at napatikhim sa sinabi ni Mr. Mori. Habang si Kent naman ay pinagmamasdan ang bawat reaksyon ko. Sumulyap ako sa kanya at nagtama ang aming paningin, bakas ang pag-aalala sa kanyang mga mata. Mula sa pagkakatitig sa akin ay seryoso siyang bumaling kay Mr. Mori at kinausap ito.

"So what is the condition you're blabbering about, Ojii-san? Just go straight to the point." Kent arrogantly asked with his brows knitted together, and I ribbed him. Napatingin siya sa akin at pinandilatan ko siya ng mata para patahimikin siya, bago ako muling bumaling kay Mr. Mori at nahihiyang ngumisi.

"Please excuse my husband's arrogance, Sir." I said, apologetic, at biglang humalakhak ng nakakaloko si Mr. Mori sabay iling ng nakangisi. Napatagilid ang ulo ko sa pagtataka sa biglaan niyang paghalakhak.

Nakakaloko naman itong si Tatang... Nasiraan na ata ng bait. I thought.

"I truly admire your guts Lee-san. In my 76 years of existence, only two men had the guts to be blatant in front of me. You're the third one." Mr. Mori smirked with a raised eyebrow and Kent huffed.

"Now, going back to business... My condition that will seal the deal should first, be solely accomplished by you, young lady." Biglang nagseryosong saad ni Mr. Mori and Kent almost got out of his seat to object but I stopped him.

"Okay, Mr. Mori. I'll do it. What's the next condition?" I said, determined.

"Second, you have to accomplish the task before the sun rises tomorrow." Aniya at tumango ako.

"Deal. So, what's the task that you want me to do, and when do I begin?" Tanong ko.

"You have to bring me the flower named Gekka Bijin which can be found east of this mansion within the rainforest. It blooms in the evening and wilts in the morning. That's why you have to be back with the flower before twilight or forget about the deal. You can start right away." Paliwanag niya at naramdaman kong kumuyom ang kamay ni Kent.

"Really?! I can't believe you old man! You're putting the life of my wife in danger just for a stupid flower?! Do you know how dangerous it is out there in the rainforest? How do you expect me to just sit here while my wife's life is on the line?!" Kent glowered at Mr. Mori who, on the other hand, remained composed, not giving away any emotion.

"Kent, calm down. I'll be fine." I tried to mollify him but he didn't accede.

"No, Alodia. I won't calm down when your safety's being compromised. I'll come with her, Sir, whether, you like it or not." Pagmamatigas ni Kent and I sighed.

"A deal is a deal. Take it or leave it." Sagot naman ni Mr. Mori at natataranta akong nagsalita balik, takot na baka magbago pa ang isip niya.

"W-We'll take it Mr. Mori. Sorry about my husband. I'll be back before twilight." I exclaimed and Kent scowled.

"No--" Kent tried to object but in one snap of Mr. Mori's fingers, his men appeared and restrained Kent's arms and legs, inhibiting him to move. I rose to my feet, almost in tears, and gave my husband a quick peck on the lips, before I turned and walked away, not looking back. I heard how my husband screamed for my name wanting to stop me from what I'm about to do, but I made my resolve-- I'll do everything just to help save what my Dad worked hard for.

Sorry, Kent... I promise I'll return to you alive.

>>>end of chapter.