Chapter 29

Luke

A complete stranger... That was what she was to me when we first met.

I never thought I would fall in love with a stranger... With someone I barely know.

She's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my entire life. She was beautiful though she was broken that time when we met on that fateful day.

I used to laugh at people who gush about fate, destiny... I never believed on such things. Not until I met her.

Serendipity was the word that first came into my mind as I first laid my eyes on her. Such a fortunate accident I thought.

Who would have thought that a simple, ordinary day can turn into something life changing? Into something so significant?

Her smiles brought an immeasurable amount of joy in my life... But at the same time, it brought me pain and sadness.

It hurt and it still hurts because I knew that though she was smiling, those smiles were not meant for me. It's frustrating... It's agonizing... To think that I don't stand a chance-- a chance to completely have her heart and her full attention.

I want her. I want her to myself. Selfishly. Greedily.

I hated myself for a while for feeling that way but that's the truth. That was what I felt even if it was wrong. I knew it was wrong. But I couldn't help it.

It was too late when I realized that I had completely fallen in love with her. As much as I wanted to prevent it from happening, to prevent myself from falling so hard, it was too late. I failed. I failed to stop myself from falling into the madness-- the madness called 'love'.

I tried. I tried so hard to win her heart. I even begged at one point just to have her reciprocate my feelings but she stopped me. No matter how hard I try and no matter how much I beg, all she could offer me is friendship. Not that I'm complaining-- I'd rather have that than to have nothing at all. But I guess, when love frustrates, when it's unrequited, one tends to become greedy. One tends to become thirsty.

Having a one sided feeling is like being stuck in a desert with no water. You want to quench your thirst-- your thirst for that certain person's love and affection but that person can barely give you anything. Not even a drop.

I wish I was the one. I wish I was him. How I wish I was the one who met her first. Maybe. Just maybe, if she met me first, she would fall for me.

Jealousy. Envy. I want to be utterly happy for her but I know that would be a lie. The biggest lie of my life to date. It pains me to see her happy in that man's arms. It pains me to see her kiss that guy... And I feel so helpless and hopeless. I can't have her. Now, I can't really have her.

Now that she's married.

</3

Patikim lang kay Luke :p (I mean sa POV niya)