Chapter 35 : Falling Into Place

Omkara had never been in such a deep dilemma before. Gauri was there but it didn't feel like she was there. The wedding preparations had begun in full swing. Pinky had taken a promise from Omkara that he wouldn't bring up his parents or anything from the past up until his wedding. 

Omkara sat idle, aimlessly looking around while Pinky, Gauri Anika and Mrs. Talwar were engaged in finding the best sarees. He occasionally glanced at Gauri. She was smiling, laughing, having a good time in short. Maybe it was all happening too fast for him. Perhaps that was the reason that he felt weird about him and Gauri. 

His fingertips traced the ring on his finger. Had anyone told him  months back that he and Gauri would be engaged he would have fainted with happiness. But right now, he just didn't feel that deep feeling of contentment.

Gauri never really brought up the past in anyway. She was simply in the present moment discussing decorations, themes, flowers, invitations, jewellry and all the other things that needed attention. A strange fear of the unknown had started making a place in Omkara's head. 

* * *

"Choti," Mrs. Talwar called Gauri as she was all ready to step out of the house. "Where are you going? I called the tailor home for taking your measurements."

"Oh, can you please push it to tomorrow? I am going out with Omkara." Gauri said, fishing out her vibrating phone from her pocket. "He's meeting me on A.T. Shopping Street!" She added.

"Gauri," Mrs. Talwar said and she looked up to find concern etched on her face.

"You're happy right?"

"Of course, I am..." Gauri answered pushing the corner of her lips up to form a smile.

"You can always tell me, if there's something." Mrs. Talwar further said.

Gauri smiled and kissed her cheek, "I know. You don't worry okay. See yaa!"

The smile from her face disappeared as soon as she turned around to leave the house.

* * *

"Hello? Gauri? Where are you?" Omkara spoke as soon as she answered the call.

"Ahuja Hotel's Dance Bar!" She said.

"What! What are you doing there?" 

The call ended abruptly and Omkara hurriedly made his way down the street towards the popular dance bar.

There was a light music playing, the room was dark and fancy lights of various colors were moving about. Omkara looked around and spotted a woman on the barstool. He made his way towards her. 

"What are--" he paused as he noticed that her fingers were around a glass that had a sparkling liquid. He focused his gaze back on her to find her smiling widely cheeks flushed. "What are you drinking?" 

"Omkara!" She drawled with a smile. "This is..vodka something.."

"Gauri,why are you drinking?"

Gauri stared at him in disbelief. "Why not! We are finally getting married!"

"God! Gauri!" Omkara muttered sitting on the barstool. "I thought we were going to pick up the clothes and then have dinner together!"

"Yeah, but this is more fun!" She giggled.

"Okay, you sound drunk. How many glasses have you had?"

"I am not drunk. Not yet. Glass was one. He refilled it, that" she frowned not finding the man. "That guy in black tshirt...he disappeared!"