Chapter 37 : The Day After

Gauri squinted her eyes. She could smell something strong. She was running, far far away. Away from everything. The evening was cold and she was struggling to run in the bridal attire. 

However she was brought to a halt when she collided against someone.

She looked up and it was Omkara who was holding her, saving her from a nasty fall. She woke up and she sat up. One hell of a weird dream. She ran away from the wedding only to collide with Omkara himself, that had to be an ironical joke of fate. 

"Good morning!" She heard and looked up. Her eyes taking in every inch of his smiling face. She looked aside and shifted behind as he settled on the bed with a tray that has a plate of toast and a cup of steaming tea.

"Thought you might wake up hungry, like always!" He explained with a smile.

"Have this and hurry up. Some rituals are still pending apparently." He said placing the tray on the makeshift table he had made out of the pillows. 

Gauri took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She was married. Of course, she couldn't forget the exhausting long day. She open her eyes to find him smiling at her.

She smiled with the hint of a blush, "good morning!"

"Finally!" He chuckled. "So, you had a good sleep?"

"Totally!" Gauri replied touching her head. "I can still feel as though the jewelry is on me!" She said touching the bottom of her neck to find just one beaded necklace on.

"You looked exquisite!"

"You literally looked like a royal." She complimented back.

"That necklace was unnecessary. Like which guy wears a necklace made up of multiple pearls." He added thoughtfully.

Gauri got off the bed to freshen up. "Choti Maa left a kit of bathroom necessities for you!" Omkara said pointing to the pouch on the side table.

Gauri tied up her hair and washed her face. As she looked at her reflection in the mirror she noticed the red vermillion in the partition of her hair. She was taken back into that moment when Omkara had held up the maang tikka, and left the red color. His eyes held so much love. She smiled, her fingers reaching to caress the nuptial chain around her neck. 

Her make up was still on. She didn't have the patience to wipe it away. Last night, both she and Omkara, were so tired that they simply hit the bed as soon as they could. It were really exhausting irrespective of whether you were the guest, family or the one getting hitched.

She quickly made her self presentable and walked out. 

Gauri smiled take a bite of her toast. "You made this?"

"No, I got it. I requested the maid to make it."

"Negative points husband!" Gauri muttered taking the sip of her tea.

He grinned at her. 

"What?" She asked amused.

"I am still trying to sink in the fact that you're my wife. I mean, yesterday was beautiful but we barely spoke. The wedding ceremonies are overrated. I mean, I couldn't even look at you without having a hundred people notice me."

"I was so hungry that all I could think was of all the food I would eat once the rituals are over."

"I know right! I had no clue we had to fast until two days back. Now I understand why Choti Maa kept feeding me the night before. Oh, you have no clue how helpful the heavily embroidered sherwani had been to suppress the growling of my stomach!"