Chapter 24 - Rumors.

~Kamsi~

_ Everyone always seem to listen to the rumors. They've all forgotten what it really means to know someone _
.
.
.

That morning, I felt the need to skip school, but my grandmother had made sure that I didn't. She felt I had skipped school more than enough, and she felt I was getting overwhelmed by my paranoia — as she'd called it. Unknown to her, my paranoia was the reason she was still breathing air this very day.

My grandparents would've been history, but Tyrone and I had made sure that didn't happen. We had made it to their room, just in time. And luckily, they were both sound asleep. Although, our unannounced entrance bagged us a real talking-to from them. Most especially, grandma; who felt I had been overly sensitive about the happenings back at home. They almost went overboard the minute they noticed Tyrone's arm and leg. I had to be sincere with them, although leaving the part about sneaking out of the house to meet Tyrone in the Dark Alley. They'd kill me if they ever got to know. In fact, they'd us both.

She understood that I'd just lost my aunt/step-mother, but she also felt I didn't need to drown myself in the grief that accompanied her death. She felt I had to keep pushing, and keep trying to face reality. Because to her? We were all nothing but breathing holograms. And one day, we'd just freeze, and seize from existing. For good.

I took her words seriously, and didn't feel the need to argue. But Tyrone still insisted that we stopped looking for any more clues. He also requested that I went home, but I refused that last part. I would only head home, once I was sure I knew all I needed to. And if I were to be in that house, I wouldn't know sh*t. Luckily, for Tyrone, I had agreed to suspend searching for any more clues... For now, at least. He claimed it was too risky, and that we had gotten lucky yesterday. He claimed that if I got attacked one more time, then I might not be as lucky as the previous times. I might finally get killed, and won't even be able to gather the so-called information — as he had stated. He also claimed that maybe those people kept chasing me because I had refused to quit trying to find out more about them, and maybe if I stopped then they wouldn't be out to get me anymore. At least, for the time being.

I considered his words. Sure, my life stunk, but I still didn't want to die, yet. Maybe before, I did, but now? Now I wanted to live. I wanted to breathe air, and make sure my mom's killer was brought to justice. And to protect my sister. I remembered that before my mom died, she had made me promise her that I would take good care of Kambili. And I did promise her. Although, during those early years of her death, I didn't fulfill that promise. But I was willing to do it now. I wouldn't let her down again.

Fortunately, Tyrone had agreed to get treatment. He had been asked so many questions back at home. His father almost added more injuries to the ones he had, just because the dude took his car without his permission. So what? Parents. They could be so annoying sometimes. And my damned father was a perfect example. He never cared from the start, anyway.

"Kamsi! You've got school. Bia eba!" Grandma yelled from downstairs. I groaned, and lazily got out of bed.
["Come here"].

When I said I didn't want to go to school, they must've thought I was joking. Because I wasn't. I hadn't even gotten dressed yet, and I was still dressed in my pajamas. I was going to frustrate them, until they finally agreed to let me stay at home today. How long could two old people take to scold someone? They couldn't scold me, could they?

"Ah! Why aren't you dressed for school yet?" Grandma asked, and I rubbed my eyes and shrugged.

"Morning to you, Grandma." I said, and she hissed. I made to place a peck on her cheek, but she glared at me, and that was enough to dispose the idea.