Prologue.

- Seas and stars don't collide, I'll be far in the star shine -
.
.
.

Folded clothes everywhere. Ranging from jeans down to shorts, from t-shirts down to vests, tops, sweaters and loose tops - including a few jackets that she was fortunate enough to own. That nostalgic feeling, the one she's had six times in a row - and on the same year - that always instigated a rush of deja vu in her, smacked it's way into her heart as she packed what was left of hers.

In a matter of a few hours, she'd be out of the home where she'd grown so fond of during these past few months she'd been here with them. This would be her sixth foster home she had to move out of, during a single year. In a year, she'd already been to six foster homes in a row!

At this point, she didn't really didn't care anymore, maybe the first time, she did. But now? An indifferent shrug was all it took to get the bad energy off her mind, as she folded the rest of her clothes into the blue duffel bag provided for her departure. The few shoes she owned were already packed into a much smaller duffel bag and her school supplies were all in her black schoolbag.

Indeed, she'd miss this family. They had a five-year-old daughter, whom she'd grown so fond of. Her name was Janessa and she was equally fond of Alisa...but turns out, her parents weren't.

The Adewales were friendly people. They were nice and welcoming, they never gave her a course to feel mistreated. They were good to her, they treated her well - but unfortunately, they didn't want to keep her. Perhaps it's cause of the economy? Maybe they couldn't afford to take care of her and their only child? Either way, Alisa couldn't blame them for it. They were nice to her and that was enough for her.

Although, sometimes she'd wonder what exactly she was doing wrong that made every single foster parents of hers not want to keep her. What exactly was she doing wrong? She didn't know. She was clueless. She had absolutely no idea and didn't bother asking; for she knew it'd be of no use. It wouldn't change a thing anyways.

Some people just weren't meant to be happy in this world and she was cool with that. She guessed she'd fallen into the unlucky category of people, who were constantly denied and deprived of happiness and love...and never really had a cause to smile. And even when they do get a cause to be happy, it gets taken away from them as soon as it came.

After all, it is what it is. She had gotten used to that feeling of rejection. After getting rejected six good times - and in the same year - from six good foster homes, you tend to ease out the peculiar feeling quicker. It becomes a normalcy. It wasn't something new to her, she'd gone through this a lot. More than she could even count, while she was at the orphanage and while she moved from one foster home to another.

Quietly, she hummed a random song as she folded what was left of her belongings into the provided duffel bag. It certainly didn't hurt as much as the first time. Then, she'd cried and begged them to let her stay with them, she'd gone on her knees with her hands joined together and tears rolling off her young face, as she pleaded with them to give her a second chance. She'd right her wrongs, do everything right, she wouldn't even complain - just as long as they didn't send her packing. But still, they did. Despite all her pleas and tears. Not that she could blame them for it. It wasn't their obligation to bear the burden which her real parents had gotten rid of. That being her.

She didn't care if they'd treat her badly or overwork her, all she wanted was a home to call her own. A place where she knew she'd have a family waiting for her to return home from school, ask about her day and at least try to understand her better. But nevertheless, it didn't necessarily matter if they'd do all that, what she cared about the most was that she never returned to that orphanage home, a place where she'd starve cause the orphanage didn't have enough to feed them with. Where she'd soak her pillow with her salty tears, every night, 'cause she felt unloved and felt like she was a burden to her parents and that's why they had given her away.

Soaking and drowning herself in self-pity. But never again! She didn't want that old life, she wanted more and was ready to put up a good fight to get it. She'd face the odds with a smile and a sprinkling of nonchalance, to show the world that they couldn't break her. And she refused to be broken.

Up until now - and even now - her motto has always been to remain prepared for the challenges life might come throwing your way. To her, nothing good ever lasts, it only comes and stays for a period of time; and finally walks out through the way it came - the minute you get attached.

So she decided never to get attached, it won't hurt as much if she didn't get too comfortable. She was ready, always considering the numerous possibilities of so many things going wrong.

Life was - and is - a battlefield, a war between survival, wants, needs and courage. And all that she learnt, she learnt the hard way.

.
.
.

And there you have it for the prologue of Bittersweet. I've been so excited to share this book with you all cause it's going to contain a lot drama and shocking revelations...as well as life lessons.
As you read further, you'll understand just how imperfect Alisa is. She appears to be strong but even irons rusts...hope that makes sense?

I won't say anything, yet. I'll let you find out as you read on. This is my first Nigerian teen fiction, ever! So please let me know what you think so far. The drama is yet to begin. This is just an insight of what her story would look like.

Get prepared cause I'm trying my best to take you all on THE most emotional rollercoaster you've ever been on.

Also, I really hope you leave a comment and vote if you like this chapter. I'm so excited to officially start this book and I want it to be a mixture of...meh! You'll find out as you read on. I don't want to spoil anything.

Adios amigos!❤️❤️❤️