Chapter 14 - Burns.

~Alisa~

_ Your words hurt, still you don't even care. Your lies leave burns on my skin, yet no one cares _
.
.
.

Closing time felt like Judgement Day, for me. School seemed to be hell, and home - that was if I could still call it that - seemed to be an even bigger hell. I dreaded going home, and yet I equally dreaded staying at school. I felt so sad, I couldn't explain why. It was obvious that I was hurting, but I couldn't explain why I felt so sad. I'd met worse conditions, and yet I felt numb about everything and refused crying. But now? Now I felt everything. Raw emotions scattered everywhere. I didn't want to feel anything, I wanted the numbness I was familiar with. Feeling the pain, the mistreatment, the pain... The everything! It just simply weakened me. I couldn't even believe just how down it all brought me.

I was just so sad, that even after closing hours, I stayed back in class. I didn't want to go home, and I chose an empty classroom over being in a house where I felt unwanted, misunderstood and hated by almost everyone in it. I couldn't bare the look Kambili kept giving me. And I couldn't bare the accusations put against Mrs. Ekwegh. I couldn't bare the guilt I felt either.

I felt like a monster living amongst men. It was a terrible feeling. One which I couldn't get rid of.

Slowly, most of my classmates began to exit the class, and yet I stayed behind. The chattering and screams immediately died down the second they left, and although I knew the designated driver whom was appointed to pick me up from school would've been waiting for me, I still chose to sit on my chair - refusing to head home.

My eyes were shut the entire time, and I simply crossed my arms and sulked. If only I had friends I could talk to, to just forget about everything, things would've felt a lot better. But I didn't. At first, I thought I could confide in Dabere, but she wasn't at school today. And then Christian's words kept bugging me. I knew I was at fault in some kind of way, I prolly shouldn't have approached him; having noticed how angry he looked. Yet, I wasn't expecting such an outburst from him. I rather felt he was a chill kinda person, and wouldn't blow up in my face like a maniac. But it happened anyways.

Now that I'd calmed down a bit, I finally understood that I couldn't blame him, entirely. I mean, he was bound to get angry cause it was - in fact - his mom which was being dissed in his presence. And it must suck that he also felt they weren't wrong about dissing her. I would've been mad too. Perhaps his mom had hurt him in someway... I couldn't entirely blame him cause I knew that even the sweetest, and nicest people on Earth must've experience some sh*tty challenges too. It was natural for Christian to feel bad, and I suddenly didn't feel so angry towards him like I was a few hours ago.

Although, his words hurt really bad. I couldn't fathom why I couldn't quit replaying the scene in my head. The way he yelled at me like I meant nothing. Ouch! It stung more than I had expected it would.

Sigh after sigh, and my head began to hurt badly. A migraine had finally found its way to my system and my entire body was pleading, and screaming, that I head home and rest. I'd had enough crap for one day. This day turned way sour than I'd expected.

"A-Alisa?" A stuttery, yet familiar voice, said to me. Realising whose it was, I took in a sharp breath and shut my eyes, not wanting to have to face any of this. Not willing to face him at all. For crying out loud! I'd had enough heartaches for one day. Couldn't the universe just leave me alone just this once?

Reluctantly, I turned towards him and finally peeled my eyes open to stare at that familiar face of his. "What?" My voice sounded cold. It sounded way harsher than I'd intended it to be. Yet, a part of me felt he deserved it.