Chapter 4 - Prestige High.

~Alisa~

_ Making rainbows in the thunderstorms _
.
.
.

"Good morning!" Kambili chirped, the moment she came down for breakfast, dressed in her school uniform.

Her uniform, was a black school blazer - which had the school badge sewn to the breast pocket - draped  over a white dress shirt, which was tucked into her skirt. A black neck tie was tied around her collar and she wore a black knee-length, pleated skirt with ankle-length, black socks and a black pair of well-polished dress shoes.

"Good morning," I returned, with a small smile on my face.

She beamed, hurriedly grabbing a seat next to me and sitting on it. I grinned at her, and she did same as she helped herself with some toasted bread.

We were halfway through our breakfast, when Kamsi finally came downstairs, his cold-as-ice look was still plastered on his face as he sat down to eat. He murmured a greeting to his parents, before trying to reach for some toasted bread. He couldn't reach it, so I got up and handed it to him with a smile on my face.

The minute his eyes landed on mine, a scowl formed on his lips and he got up and reached for another bread himself, thereby ignoring me. I felt stupid, with my outstretched hand still holding the plate of toasted bread. Slowly, I gulped down my embarrassment and sat down on my seat, with Kambili offering a sympathetic smile.

"That's how he is. I'm sure you'll get used to it soon" she whispered to me, and I nodded my head in understanding.

As I ate the rest of my breakfast, I kept stealing glances at Kamsi. I immediately knew that trying to thaw the ice in his heart, was second to impossible. He refused  looking at me - or anyone else - as he gingerly nibbled on his breakfast.

Silence enveloped us all, as we ate in total silence. Kamsi was first to get up, although he had barely eaten anything from his plate. No one said a thing to him, as he grabbed his schoolbag from his chair, and left the house.

"Bye, dad" he muttered as he left the house, totally disregarding Mrs. Ekwegh.

"Bye, son" his father returned, taking a bite out of his toast.

At the corner of my eye, I could see the hurt expression on Mrs. Ekwegh's face and I instantly lost my appetite. I got up and gathered mine and Kamsi's plate, before walking into the kitchen to put them in the sink. But not before thanking Mr. and Mrs. Ekwegh for the wonderful breakfast.

"Thank you, ma. Thank you, sir" I said and they smiled in acknowledge.

Kambili soon got up, and ran to give her father a hug, equally disregarding Mrs. Ekwegh.

"Bye, dad!" She chirped and he pecked her cheeks.

"Bye, dear" he smiled.

After letting go of him, she ran to my side and hugged me - and bade me a goodbye.

"Bye" I smiled as she finally picked her bag from the chair, and left for school.

I excused myself afterwards and walked into the kitchen. After washing the plates, I retired to my room and lay on my bed. My eyes roamed the entire room, aimlessly. And I wondered how the rest of my days here would go. Most importantly, I kept wondering how I'd be able to help Kamsi's relationship with the family.

Now left all alone, I wondered what I'd do with my time. And I immediately decided to pick a novel, in order to pass time.

Halfway through the book, I heard a knock on the door and I hollered a, "Come in!"