Chapter 8 - Deep.

~Alisa~

_ Our wounds take time to heal. Sometimes, they're deeper than they seem _

*A/N: This chapter is dedicated to all the innocent protesters that were killed at Lagos Toll Gate. May their souls rest in perfect peace, Amen❤️*
.
.
.

Much later, into the wee hours of the night, did Kamsi finally return on his own accord. He looked worn out, dejected, miserable and most importantly, he looked pained... And sad. He hadn't gotten rid of the gun in his possession, he still held it in his hands as he staggered into the house and came falling to the floor, with a loud grunt escaping his lips.

Mr. Ekwegh still wasn't home, and we all had grown worried of both their absence. Up until Kamsi staggered into the house once again. He clutched a bottle of brandy in his hands, and his eyes were bloodshot. He stank of alcohol and weed. My God! This boy was killing himself with his own hands! He didn't need a gun to take away his life. His over excessive in take of alcohol and weed - at such a young age - was enough to kill him. They'd rot his insides, and he'd die. Slowly.

Kamsi grumbled and muttered words incoherently, almost like a madman would. He wasn't himself. The dejected-looking boy right there on the floor, wasn't ice-faced Kamsi anymore. He had his walls crumbling down, and his inner bitterness and sorrows were now on full display. Clear enough for everyone to see. For everyone to judge.

I watched as Kambili ran over to his side. He couldn't get up, he didn't even seem to want to get up, rather, he lay helplessly on the floor.

"Kamsi! Kamsi, why are you doing this to yourself?!" She yelled as she took the bottle of brandy away from his grip - forcefully - and glared at him, her tears smeared on her face.

Dub and Christian had long gone to their respective houses, and it was just me, Kambili, and Mrs. Ekwegh left at home. Mr. Ekwegh was still out, looking for Kamsi - who was right here, now.

"You... You want to die? Are you mad, Kamsi?! Are you?!" She yelled and he chuckled. A pained, miserable chuckle. He stared blankly at her, his bloodshot eyes were barely able to stay open, and he just couldn't process actual comprehensive words.

"Yes... Ye- Yes! That's what I... F**king want!" He yelled, aggressively shoving her aside - not bothered if she got hurt in the process.

Kambili whimpered as she collided with the floor and I instantly rushed over to her side, trying so hard to calm her down.

"Kamsi!" And to our greatest surprise, she slapped him. She slapped her own twin. It was a resonating slap, one that was given out of hurt and helplessness. The pain in her eyes, marked and carved a hole in my heart. The sadness withheld in both their orbs, left a scar in my heart and dug a hole in my chest. I wept inwardly this family. For them.

Kamsi laughed. A hurt, bitter laugh. One devoid of humor, and rather sad. A laugh that held pity and sadness in it. One that was enough to get one trembling with sheer wonder.
"Why don't you slap me again, Kambili? Do it! Freaking slap me! That's ... That's... Argh!" And he gripped his hair in frustration. He screamed out his pain, loud enough for us all to hear. He tugged at his hair, and his lips quivered. He sobbed.

"You don't even understand! You... You... Y'all don't understand sh*t!" He yelled, and mumbled words incoherently.

Kambili shivered, as she watched her brother in pity. She cried so hard, and I felt my heart burden.

"Sla- slap me, Kambili! Do it!" He yelled as he picked her hand, and forcefully collided it with his face - repeatedly slapping himself with her hand.

"Stop! Stop! St- stop, Kamsi" she cried. "Please..." She cried out once more, as she forcefully pulled her hand away from his grip, a small whimper escaping her lips as the tears spilled out of her eyes.