Chapter 17 - Candy.

~Alisa~

_ You're just like candy, cause you're sweet and yet you give me a toothache _
.
.
.

I was fast asleep, exhausted by literally everything life had placed before me. All I pleaded for, was to be left alone, but that came shattering to pieces the minute I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

Is it now a sin to want to sleep? God, what kind of world is this one?

I grumbled, and got out of bed. I grudgingly headed to the door and groggily pulled it open.

"What do you...?" My words got lost in my throat, the minute my eyes finally recognised the face of the person standing right outside my room.

"Can I come in? Please?" She said, and I managed a deep breath and nodded my head in reply. I slowly moved out of the way, and she walked in. Slowly, I shut the door behind me and went to sit on my bed.

Things were already getting awkward pretty fast.

"Alisa... I... I don't want to believe that I was wrong by being so upset with you, but I was. And as much as I hate to admit it, I was..." She heaved a long sigh and finally came to sit next to me on my bed. "I really hate apologising to anyone, but I'll make an exception today. I'm so sorry for how I treated you. I overreacted, but it was because I felt so betrayed by what you did, and I'm so sorry for acting the way I did" she said and I simply smiled at her. What was I to do? Stay mad at a person whom I was literally living at their mercy? No. Even if I wanted to stay mad at her, I just had no choice because I didn't want to leave this house. I wanted to stay for as long I could.

"You're forgiven, Kambili. I'm not mad at you" I said, rather drily.

"I get the feeling that you're only saying that cause you're feeling obliged to" she said and I forced a big smile out of me.

"Not at all. I'm just happy you're no longer mad at me" I said and she simply nodded her head and remained seated on my bed.

"Christian told me about how my words made you feel. He told me you began to sound like a sadist, and I can't even explain how sorry I am for that. I didn't mean to paint that kind of image of myself in your head. I'm really sorry that I did" she said and I basically heaved a sigh and let out a genuine smile.

"Kambili, you coming to apologise is enough for me. It's best we bury the hatchet... It'll be best for us both" I told her, and she let my words sink in and nodded in response. "Besides, I'm no longer hurt by those words. I've heard worse, so I'm used to it. There's no need for you to feel so guilty" I added and I could still tell she felt extremely guilty.

"No, Alisa. I need to make this up to you. Anything you want, your bills are on me" Did she really think that that was what I wanted?

"Kambili, that is very unnecessary. Sisters don't do that" I dared to say. Was I still permitted to call her my sister?

"Yeah... Too bad I'm a horrible sister" she meant to mutter that, I presumed, although I heard every word she'd said. I didn't say anything contrary to what she had said, not because she was right about being a 'horrible sister', but because I didn't want to debate on the topic with her. I still felt a little sleepy and needed to rest.

"So please tell me all what has been going on in your school. I'm curious" Kambili's expression suddenly perked up, and she grinned at me.

"Uh, school? It's just same ole boring hellhole. No biggie" I shrugged.

A hellhole filled with too many demons, whom I can't even count.

"And I hear a certain fool bullies you" she snorted and I gasped, in mock shock.