Prologue : New Beginnings

Despite the blood dripping from her nose, the trembling of her aching limbs and the pounding of her headache, Seven smiled happily as she took in her surroundings

Despite the blood dripping from her nose, the trembling of her aching limbs and the pounding of her headache, Seven smiled happily as she took in her surroundings. She looked as if she'd been running through the woods for hours. The small seven-year-old's hospital gown was ripped and smeared with dirt and blood as was her pale, slightly freckled skin. Her chest heaved for breath as her bright azure eyes cautiously scanned the forest for signs of human life.

Seven wondered slowly through the forest,  she figured that she had gotten far enough away from the lab that she could slow down and catch her breath. But as she slowed, the effects of the adrenaline pumping through her veins began to wear off and the trembling in her legs began to intensify. It was as if her legs had turned to jelly and her knees buckled, sending her crashing to the ground.

Seven lay on the forest floor amongst the leaves and dirt, appreciating the feel of the world outside the lab before crawling over to the nearest tree and leaning her back against it. Her eyes fluttered closed as she let her head fall back against the tree. She didn't know how long she sat there for but when her eyes finally opened, the feint sound of yelling filled her ears.

Knelt before her was a kind looking lady who ran a hand over Seven's short buzzed her. Seven couldn't hear what she was saying, all she could see was the movement of the lady's mouth as she yelled for her husband to call the cops.

"It's okay, Honey. You're safe,"

✩✩✩

November, 1981

The incessant ringing of her alarm clock abruptly woke Ally from her peaceful sleep. The girl groans and rolls out of bed. Her wild brown hair sticking out in different directions all around her head as she rubs the sleep from her azure-blue eyes. Ally yawns and stretches as she goes through her morning routine, still half-asleep.

As she shoves her school books into her back pack and changes into her clothes, Ally does her best not to let her eyes trail over to the small tattoo on the inside of her wrist.

007

The number that she will forever be inked into her skin, reminding her of her painful years at Hawkins Lab, before she escaped.

In half an hour, the 10-year-old girl is showered, dressed and sat alone at her kitchen table eating her cereal. Her wild brown hair was carelessly thrown into two messy braids, her eyes lined with a thin line of black eyeliner that made the blue of her eyes pop. She donned a pair of high-waisted ripped jeans, an AC/DC shirt, her favourite leather jacket that had once belonged to her big brother (Steve) and finally a pair of slightly worn-out combat boots.

To the other kids at school at school, Ally's dark and intimidating appearance was frightening. She held an air of quiet mysteriousness and confidence. Nobody ever dared to cross her. She seemed like the type of person who wouldn't hesitate to break your nose if you angered her and therefore nobody even so much as dared making friends with her. That was alright with Ally though, because she had Steve. She didn't need anyone else. Steve, her older brother, was Ally's favourite person in the whole world. Ally didn't dare let herself show any emotions at school but the moment she was home with her brother, Ally could never even attempt to hide the adoration and love she held for her brother. Something that would shock the living daylights out of any of the kids at school.