Chapter twenty-three

//TW: SH (self harm) If you are sensitive to those topics, you may want to skip this chapter.//

My mom was sitting on the floor, a pocket knife in her left hand, as her right wrist was gushing out blood. She was crying as the sleeves of her white lab coat and sections of her hair turned a blood red.

Right now, she didn't seem to notice that I had walked in her room. I didn't know what to do! I had a feeling something was going on with my mom, but not this! I knew I needed to help her before she could potentially go to far, but I also need to be calm doing so. Now... how do I do that?

Out of nowhere, her eyes widened, and her they snap to me. She drops the pocketknife, and starts shaking while trying to hide her bleeding wrists. However, she knew I already saw them. She tried to put words together, yet nothing came out besides cries.

I walk over to her carefully, trying to remain calm, and sit down in front of her. The first thing I do is put the pocketknife in my pocket so she didn't have to see it. I then held her face in my hands, and she said,

"Y-You weren't supposed to s...see that..." She said, her voice shaking. "I've tried not to... all day... and I failed."

"Mom...." that was all I could say. I didn't know what else I could say without making it worse.

"I'm sorry." She quickly blurted out.

"What? Mom, you went the longest you could. You tried your hardest." I said trying to dry her tears.

She paused and put her head on my shoulder, while I tried to help calm her down. "Amelia..." my mom finally said.

"Yes?"

"I need to be honest... I need help. I know I've needed it for a long time."

"I'm glad you said something, that's hard to do." I say, "Now, we can try getting you the help you need?"

My mom nodded, "Okay, but first I might want to change my lab coat..."

"Okay." I say getting up.

"Wait, where are you going?"

"To the bathroom." I said, "there should be some gauze and bandages in a drawer. I don't want you to get an infection."

I went to get some bandages, gauze, and some hydrogen peroxide for her lab coat to get the blood out. I came back quickly to see her just sitting there, holding one of my dad's jackets. I sigh, and walk over to my mom, and start wrapping her cuts.

Dad still wasn't fully awake yet. Doctors were saying that it would most likely be a while before he did. Nor was he getting much better, and still was completely terrified whenever there was a sudden noise. I could tell mom was deeply worried about him, and missed him a ton. My brother and I knew when my parents were still dating, dad helped mom through a lot of hard times.

We started to head out, and were walking through the long, cold halls of the dreadfort. I was mainly following my mom, since I didn't know where to go. Where do you even go to get mental help?

Well, I later I kinda pieced it together that you would go to the medical floor, as myself and my mom were slowly approaching it. However, once we got there, she turned down a hallway, to a double door. We both went in to see a receptionist sitting there, typing at a computer.

"Oh, hello Lady Azura, Lady Amelia. What can I do for you two today?" She asked.

"Hey... um" She looked to the ground. "I need to have a test done for my mental health."

"Okay. Well, we aren't very booked today, so the doctor should be with you soon." She said signaling to a few chairs.

The two of us sat down, and after a few minutes my mom got called back. She got up and turned back to me.

"You go back to your office or go do something. They'll call you down when they're finished."

I nod, and got up, leaving MedBay. I wasn't sure of what to go do. Aaron is practicing flying with a few Elytra squadron members, Deimitri is training with his dad, Elie and Storm were probably with their parents, Hilda is busy with paperwork and getting everyone prepared for the trip, and Ceris and Olivia were visiting Abby. So I had really no one who I could check up on, because of them being busy. So I decided to go check on my sword!

Yesterday, I tried to finish my sword yesterday, but it was almost sundown and I wanted to get home. So all I needed to do was let the netherite cool off and harden overnight. Maybe I'll be able to use the sword today, that is if it comes out as it should.

Maybe that'll distract me from what just happened.

I walked to the Arsenal to go finish my sword. There was about two other people there, but they were busy crafting. I went to a small closet that stored the weapons that were in progress, and took out my netherite sword. It was almost finished! All I needed to do now was finish the rest of the handle. I had finished most of it while waiting for the netherite to cool off.

The handle I decided that I wanted it to be mainly iron, with a dark blue grip, and with little gold accents. I based it off of traditional Frostbourne colors, silver, blue, and gold.

What, if I have to kick butt, might as well have a cool sword to help!

I tried to quickly finished it up, but it took a while. The next thing I knew, a doctor came up to me.

"Lady Amelia?" They asked.

"Yes?"

"Your mother's appointment is done. The therapist wants to speak with you." They said.

I nod, put my sword in its sheath, and start to follow them out of the arsenal. However, before I could leave, the two other people there started laughing.

"So, that demon is getting help? For what, lessons on how to not betraying our kind?" One said. The other one laughed.

I shook my head, trying not to pay attention to their comments of my mom. Everyone was so quick to judge her on what had happened when she was in her twenties, which wasn't her fault! Yet, they have no idea of the internal battle she faces daily.

Not wanting to start something, I just glare at them before following the person back to the infirmary.