09 - A Devilish Cackle

The end of the day was nearing, and I was gathering my things from my locker. Honestly, I didn't see the point of bringing my shit back to the dorm if I'm coming right back here anyway. 
I shut my locker and turn to face a grinning Sai. 

"Hello, Naruto," He greeted, reaching for my hand. I scrounge my nose at him and pull my hand closer to myself in a jokingly defensive manner. This guy creeps me out, especially when he tries touching me every time we run into each other. 

We had met a while back when he asked me why I hated Sasuke so much. He was like 'oh, he seems like a pretty nice guy'- Like okay? Have you seen his true colors? 

"When the hell did you get here!?" I yell, grabbing the attention of a few students. He continued grinning with his eyes closed. "I was already here, Naruto." 
I pull my eyebrows together and look him up and down with suspicion. "Well, what the hell d'ya want?" I clear my throat and stand with more confidence, flinging my bag over my shoulder and breaking for the exit. 

He followed behind me for a few seconds and began to speak. "Naruto, Sakura wants you to invite Sasuke to the get together since she's 'too shy', as she says."

I stop in my tracks and stare at the ceiling. I then let out an exhausting sigh. First, she tells me to be nicer to Sasuke for her sake and mine, and now she wants me to invite him to the stupid get together.' I ponder. 

"Something wrong, Naruto?" Sai touched my shoulder. With a shiver, I immediately slapped his hand away. "Stop trying to touch me all the time! It's fucking creepy!" I threaten, poising a fist at him. He simply hums and smiles. A moment later, I hear his voice. "So, are you going to invite hi-"

"Tell her I said I'll consider it... I'm going home!" I retort, after contemplating for a minute in my head. 

 Truth is, I dunno if it's a good idea being around Sasuke at a drinking party of all things, dattebayo,'

 I wave at Sai before leaving the building. Surprisingly, he didn't follow me. 

The leave was quiet. All - most - of the students had already drained the building within three minutes of the bell going off. One of those students could've been me if stupid Sai didn't hold me back. 
I don't blame 'em. I mean come on, who would waste what little time they've got, especially on a Wednesday evening? 

I continued walking. A few moments later,

That gaze...

Instead of stopping, I pretend to ignore it. That hot gaze was watching me again.' 

I kept walking. I was nearing the dormitory. But not being able to resist, the urge to glance around the area overtook me. I looked back at the entrance of the school, the dormitory paths ways, and the school park. 

Nobody was there. 

I look up, squinting my eyes and looking through the school's windows from first to the third floor, all the way to the rooftop. 
Nobody was there.

"You must be imaging it,"

I recalled Sakura's words. But I knew for a fact that I most certainly wasn't. I know someone is watching me, and it's factual. 

This person's gaze gave me butterflies. I wanted them to keep watching me, as creepy as it may seem. And it has been like that ever since middle school, in the 8th grade. 

It was the same person from back then, there's no mistaking it. I want to hug them. To embrace them tightly, and thank them for looking out for me, for liking me despite my sometimes wrong personality.