farm

hey y'all quick PSA, pls ignore and don't correct any spelling mistakes or grammar issues, i just wanted to publish this as soon as i could :) anyways enjoy!

————————————

At age seventeen, Sophie made the hard decision to give up. The Neverseen was too powerful and everyone who was involved in the Black Swan was in danger. So, as a group, they decided to send the kids into the Forbidden Cities to live on a farm in Washington state. Y'know, something simple. Something that elves wouldn't normally do.

They had been given 100 acres of land, cattle, some other animals, crops, new clothes, and two houses, one for boys and one for girls. Sophie decided to also bring along Marella, Stina, and Maruca with them, just to keep them safe as well.

When they faded back in from the light leap, they all sucked in a breath. The air quality wasn't the best, but it was better than being in the human cities. For miles and miles, there was farmland and on the horizon were some mountains. The sky was blue and dotted with fluffy clouds. Y'know, stuff far away from a city.

Keefe looked over to their left and nudged Sophie. "Is that a lake?"

She laughed and shook her head. "No, it's a pond. And if we have ducks, they would live there or in the barn," she replied, pointing to a giant red barn.

Fitz brushed off some grass from his tunic and made a sour face. "What's that smell?" he asked.

"Manure. We're in farm country, pretty boy," Dex replied, kicking a rock.

"Okay, well I want to get into work clothes. Which house is which?" Biana asked, eyeing some dirt on her boots.

"That's our house," Sophie said, pointing to the farmhouse nearest to the barn. "And that's the boys. Everyone go and get changed and meet in the barn. Okay?"

Everyone nodded and Tam's nose scrunched as another wave of manure smell washed over them. Keefe had a smile on his face and grabbed Fitz's hand before running towards their house. Sophie smiled and Biana dragged them towards theirs.

The girls entered the house and ran up to their rooms. The doors had their names engraved into the wood and when Sophie walked into hers, she smiled. Her window looked out onto some flower fields and a giant oak tree that would make a great place for a swing. She turned to her closet and pulled it open. Inside were simple work clothes, simple enough to make something cute. Cute enough for a farm girl, at least. She took out a yellow tee and some overalls. After slipping those on, she loosely braided her hair and put on some yellow rain boots.

As she exited her room, Biana stepped out of hers. She smiled down at her outfit which was a pair of denim washed shorts and a white top and a blue bandana tying her hair back, paired with navy blue rain boots, and said, "I think I'm gonna grow to like this."

They laughed and wrapped their arms around each other's shoulders. They walked towards the barn, Marella and Maruca quickly joining them, and waited.

Once everyone was there, standing in a circle, they started another...meeting? I don't know, narrating is hard.

"So is this our life now," Marella sighed, picking up a duckling that had waddled into the barn.

"It's not too bad, right?" Linh asked, petting the duck, smiling as it let out a small, happy quack.

"We will adapt. We all have before. Mr. Forkle told me that our parents would visit us once a month, just to check up on us, so no funny business. His words, not mine. But I do agree with him. We now are responsible for animals and crops. I don't want to hear about any unnecessary drama, and that includes relationship stuff. I'm not saying you can't have relationships, just, keep it any drama contained," she said, eyeing Fitz and Dex, who were smiling down at another duckling that had waddled into the barn.