bookstore

The Sencen family bookstore had been in the small town of Dewfalls for years and after Keefe's mother and father died, he took on the store. He had always loved being in the store, the smell of the old book and the soft lighting always made him happy, but now with having to pay for rent and keeping up with the money has put a lot of stress on him lately.

But, one thing makes up for it. Every Saturday, Sophie Foster, a girl around his age, comes into the store and buys a new book. Keefe's had a crush on her since they were five and she moved into town. And this Saturday was no different, except for one small thing.

When she entered, he looked up and smiled. Today,  she wore a white sweater, mom jeans, and a small, beige backpack. Her blonde hair was in a loose, side ponytail and she had on a light layer of makeup. In one hand, she held an iced drink and in the other, a hot one. She walked right up to the counter and pushed the hot drink to him.

"What's this?" he asked, taking it and sipping it, only to find it was a caramel latte with almond milk, his go-to.

"I may or may not have asked the barista what your order is so I could bring it to you."

Keefe laughed and took another sip. "So I see you're an iced coffee in the fall kind of girl."

"Guilty."

He laughed again and smiled at her. She smiled back and ran a finger along the lid of her cup.

"So, what are you looking for this week?" he asked, straightening out his shirt.

"A cute, small-town romance about bookstores and coffee dates," she replied, fidgeting with her sleeve.

This caught Keefe off-guard. He looked into her eyes and saw a smile grow on her face.

"I-I'm not sure if we have anything that specific, but I can get you a romance."

She smiled and nodded and he went into the back. A few seconds later, he came out with a book she hadn't seen before. He placed it on the counter and Sophie smiled.

"A new author?" she asked.

"Yeah, some local gal. I have a few copies but I got her to sign one. Open it."

Sophie did and gasped. It wrote, 'To the reader, you're loved in so many possible ways. Keep dreaming, Marella.' The cover showed a couple sitting on a bench, their backs facing the camera. They overlooked a small lake, the guy's arm around the girls.

"'Stupid with Love', isn't that a title of a song from 'Mean Girls'?" she asked.

"I think so. Cute name, though."

She giggled and took out a twenty-dollar bill, placing it in front of him.

"Oh, no. You don't have to pay me."

"I bought you coffee. And besides, I don't take things for free."

He rolled his eyes and took it. "Well, I hope I'm not being too forward with this, but Dex comes in for his shift in a few hours, so maybe we can grab some food?"

"Yeah, I'd love that. Do you have a pen and paper?" she asked.

Keefe handed her a sticky note and a pen. She wrote down her number and gave it back to him.

"I'll be home all day, so just contact me whenever. I'll be reading," she said, tapping the book.

Keefe laughed and watched her exit the store. When she left, he smiled down at the note and tucked it into his back pocket, turning to help another customer.

As promised, Keefe had texted her and she got ready, dressing in a white, off-the-shoulder top with ruffles on the top, light washed ripped jeans, and white sneakers. Her hair was pulled in two dutch braids and her phone sat in her back pocket.

She pulled up to the small restaurant in the middle of town and checked her phone. He had sent a message that he was inside. She smiled at her screen and walked into the restaurant. When she spotted him, her smile only grew.

Eight years later

Keefe stood at the counter of the bookstore, counting some money. He placed it in the cash register and heard the bell on the door ring. He looked up and smiled, walking around to the other side of the counter and towards the two people. His wife, Sophie, and their daughter, Selene, hugged him.

"How's my beautiful family?" he asked.

"I'm great! I heard Henry likes me back!" the first-grader giggled, still clinging onto her dad's torso.

"Oh honey, all the boys you'll meet."

Sophie laughed and Selene ran to the back of the store. Keefe wrapped his arms around her waist, letting her rest her head on his chest.

"How are you?" he asked.

"I'm tired, but I'm excited to make dinner tonight. It's our favorite."

"Oh, yes, you're the best!"

Sophie laughed and squeezed him before heading into the back. Keefe stayed in the spot and hugged himself. "I can't believe I married her."

I'm sorry this one's so short I felt the need to update but I haven't gotten any good ideas lately!! hope to see y'all soon!
-Lauren