forbidden love pt 2

It was a calm, spring afternoon in the kingdom of Zettalux, and Queen Sophia, or more commonly known as Sophie, walked around the castle grounds in a simple, yet elegant, short, white dress. Her dog, Sandy, was at her side, sniffing each and every flower as if she hadn't a thousand times before. Sophie laughed and bent down to pet Sandy when one of the maids from the castle came up to her with what seemed to be a letter. Sophie sucked in a breath, for it had been five years since she ran away and she feared her family would find her one day, begging for her to come home.

"Mrs. Sencen?" the maid asked.

"Is everything alright?" she asked in return.

"Mr. Sencen asked me to give this to you."

The maid handed her the paper and Sophie let out a breath. It was a letter, yes, but it was from her loving husband, King Keefe Sencen of their small kingdom.

"Thank you."

"Of course. And happy birthday, Miss."

Sophie smiled and watched the small woman hurry back to the castle. She chuckled and continued walking as she opened and read the letter.

My dearest Sophie,

It's been five years. I can't believe it. If you told eleven-year-old me that I'd be here right now, living in a small and homey castle with the most beautiful woman on the planet, I wouldn't have believed you. Yet, here I am, living my dream. I am so lucky to have you in my life, you honestly have no clue. My life has changed for the better and I hope to believe yours has too, my lily.

I love you, my dear.

-Keefe

Sophie smiled at the paper and pat Sandy, who was begging for attention at her feet.

"Sandy, I am so lucky."

"Yeah, you are."

The queen turned to see her husband walking towards her. A huge smile grew on her face and she ran into his arms, crushing him in a bear hug.

"Happy twenty-one, Soph," he whispered.

"I love you so much," she whispered back.

Keefe laughed and squeezed her before letting go. He gave her a quick kiss before saying, "I'm hungry, want lunch?"

Sophie nodded and the duo, with Sandy tagging along, headed back into the small castle. The kingdom was small, with only twenty people living in the village. There were two maids, three butlers, and one chef working in the castle. While it was small and not really a "kingdom", everyone was happy. The couple visited the village every week, Wednesday, to visit the townsfolk and ask how they were doing. Everyone loved their visits and they loved making them.

As they entered the small dining hall, one of the maids, the one who brought Sophie the letter, was setting out the plates for the couple and the rest of the staff. The king and queen loved talking and eating with their small staff, it made them feel like they were a small family.

But before everyone sat down, one of the butlers came in with a letter. Sophie grabbed Keefe's hand and he squeezed it as the man handed Sophie the paper. She sucked in a breath as she saw it was from a past life.

It was from the king and queen of Havenfield.

"You don't have to open it," he whispered, looking down at the letter.

"No, I do."

Keefe nodded and watched her slowly open the letter. As they both read it, tears formed in their eyes.