missing pt 3

so ik this isn't "fluff" and don't worry we'll get back to that, i just didn't wanna leave y'all on a cliff hanger. i love y'all and i hope you enjoy!! -lauren

"Do you have a pathfinder or leaping crystal?" Keefe asked as they sat by a tree.

Sophie grabbed her neck and became upset when she didn't find it.

"No, they took it," she said with an angry tone in her voice. She pulled her knees to her chest and pushed a strand of her slightly greasy hair behind her ear.

"We'll figure out something, I promise," Keefe replied with a bit of caution. He knew that she could get mad and snap at him when she was in a bad mood.

"I hope so."

Totally not the response he was preparing for. He moved to sit next to her and he pulled her close to him. She rested her head on his chest and fought the urge to cry. But it was impossible to hold them back.

As she cried into his tunic, he held her as close as he could. The last thing he wanted was for her to feel like it was her fault.

"What are we going to do? We haven't found a cliff to jump from and we barley know how to find food and water. Soon you're going to have to try meat and I don't want you to throw off the stupid Elven diet," Sophie mumbled.

Keefe wiped away one of his tears and rested his head on hers.

"We'll find a way home. I know it. And I'll eat meat if it comes down to that. It's going to be okay, Foster."

She sighed and wrapped her arms around his torso.  "Have I told you how much I love you?" she ased.

"Yes, you've told me many times the past few days."

"Well, it feels nice to finally say it."

He laughed and smiled, wrapping his arms around her, too. "It feels good to hear you say it. You have no idea how long I've waited for you to say that."

Sophie smiled and snuggled into his chest. "Thank you for distracting me from the bigger issue."

He pet her head and they sat in silence for a bit. But then he got an idea and sat up a bit.

"What is it?" Sophie asked.

"What if we jump from a tree" he asked.

She looked at the branchless trees and hated to say it but she turned to him and said, "How would we get up there?"

"We levitate up there and then maybe fall at a fast speed?'

"Do we even have the energy to do so?"

He sighed and pulled her back onto his chest. "We'll get out of here. I promise."

Sophie nodded and she felt her eyelids start to drop. "Are you starting to feel tired, too?"

"Yeah, we can sleep for a bit."

She nodded and before she knew it, she was fast asleep, safe in his arms.

"Sophie!" Keefe exclaimed the next morning.

She groaned and sat up. She quickly brushed her fingers through her hair and wiped dirt off her cape.

"What's up?" she asked, rubbing her eyes.

"I found Starroot! It's a vegetable in the Lost Cities, so at least we know we're in the Cities!"

Sophie stood up and he handed her one. "It's okay. Take a bite."

She bit into it and it tasted like chips and salsa. "Well, I could definitely live off of this for a few days."

Keefe laughed and stuffed a few others into a pocket. "Well, I'm going to try and levitate to see where we are."