santa monica pier

"Hey, let's go to the Forbidden Cities. There's this place I wanna go visit."

Sophie looked up from her book and gave Keefe an are you really being serious right now look. When he smiled and gave her puppy dog eyes, she sighed and closed her book.

"Okay fine. But only because I can never say no to those eyes."

Keefe giggled and grabbed her hand, pulling her towards the door.

"Wait, will we need money?" Sophie asked before they exited her room.

Keefe nodded and she took her hand back. "We'll also need human clothes," she said as she dug around her desk, looking for the wallet full of human money.

"I'll go look around your closet," he replied, running to her closet.

Ten minutes later, he came running out with a pair of khaki shorts, a dark blue shirt, and white sneakers for him and a yellow sundress, brown sandals, and a yellow headband for her. Sophie grabbed a backpack and stuffed some food, water, and the money inside. They then raced downstairs, past Sandor and Ro, and right up to the cliff.

"Where do you wanna go?" Sophie asked.

"Santa Monica Pier."

Sophie smiled and the two jumped over the cliff, hand in hand. And as they jumped, they heard Sandor and Ro yelling at them.

Sophie gave Keefe one last smile before concentrating and opening the void. They jumped through and not two seconds later, landed on the beach by the pier.

"Wow, it's even more beautiful than the book picture," Keefe sighed, squeezing Sophie's hand.

"Yeah, now let's go!"

The two purchased tickets and went inside. Sophie insisted they get cotton candy and Keefe was way too excited and happy when he finally tried it.

"Please Keefe, it's honestly the best thing ever," Sophie begged.

"Nah Foster. I'd rather try ice cream."

"No. You're trying it."

"Jeez, okay."

He grabbed a bit and stuffed it in his mouth. Sophie laughed as a smile spread across his face and grabbed more.

"Okay! Leave some for me, please," Sophie said as she jerked it away from his grasp.

Keefe laughed and wrapped his arms around her neck.

"Alright, what should we do?" Sophie asked, resting her chin on his arms.

"Let's do that," he replied, pointing to the roller coaster.

"You sure?"

"Oh yeah, I'm sure."

Sophie smiled and they quickly finished the cotton candy. The paid with their tickets and climbed into a red car. Sophie placed her backpack at her feet and laughed when she looked over and saw Keefe's face of confusion.

"What do we do?" he asked.

"So that worked," Sophie started, pointing at the worker putting everyone's bars on their laps, "will come over and lock this on so we won't go flying out," she finished, pointing to the cushioned bar.

Keefe nodded and let the worker put the bar down. And soon, they were off and rolling fast on the track. Sophie's arms were in the air and she was squealing and laughing. Keefe decided to copy her and the boy ended up having one of the best times in his life.

They went around the track two times before they stumbled out.

Keefe smiled and said, "Wow......that was-"

"Accelerating," Sophie interrupted, taking her backpack and the two walking away from the coaster.

"What's that?" Keefe asked, pointing to the ferris wheel.

"A ferris wheel. We can go in it, only if your not afraid of heights."

"I'm not afraid of anything."

Sophie laughed and grabbed his hand. They ran towards the ferris wheel, paid with their tickets, and sat in one of the seats.

They lifted up and stopped where they were watching the sun set.

"Why aren't we moving?" Keefe asked.

"I slipped the guy an extra five dollars so we could watch the sunset up here because Keefe, I realized today, I'm in love with you and I can't deny it anymore."

Keefe looked her face up and down before cupping it and pressing his lips onto hers.

Sophie closed her eyes and placed her hand onto his.

"I take it you feel the same way," she whispered when she let go and rested her forehead on his.

"Oh you have no idea."

She rested her head on his shoulder and they watched the sun set, smiling and holding each other's hands.