lake

'Meet me at the lake in twenty minutes'

That was the last text Sophie had received from Keefe before she got into her car and drove to the local lake.

She parked and found Keefe sitting at the end of the dock, his feet dangling in the water. Sophie sat next to him and took off her shoes and socks.

She let her feet slip into the water and she looked over at the boy, who was watching the water ripple.

"Hey," she softly said.

"Thanks for coming," he replied.

"Of course. What's up?"

"Alice. She broke up with me."

Sophie tried to pretend she was sad, but in reality, it was the best thing she heard all day.

"I-I'm so sorry," she whispered.

"No, it's fine. Because I think I like someone else."

Sophie's head snapped up and she looked at him. "Oh, uhm, who?"

"I'm.....not quite ready to share that."

"Oh."

But little did Keefe know, that 'oh' was Sophie's heart breaking into a million pieces. But she wasn't about to tell him that.

"Y'know, maybe I am."

And Keefe turned his head and grabbed Sophie's face. And before she knew what was going on, his lips were on hers.

Sophie pulled away and gave him a confused look.

"But-" she started to say, getting cut off from Keefe.

"I realized that my relationship wasn't working out because I love you. It took me a second, but you're the only one I want."

Sophie smiled at the boy and pressed her lips to his again, cupping his face.

"I love you, too."