Chapter Twenty Two

School Fight

Jinhwan POV

The relationship I have with my family has always been rocky. My father, mother, and I would never spend much time together. I normally would come home to the smell of strong beer mixed with my mothers vanilla candle, trying to get rid of my dads awful smell. My parents had an arrange marriage so soon that they didn't have time to get to know each other. My parents also didn't want to get married so they never attempted at a happy marriage. Mother never fed my father a plate, she would make dinner and leave the pot sitting on the stove for him to grab his own food. I soon did too assuming she didn't want to plate my meal either. And when my father would leave to work they never hugged or kissed, he would just leave. So when mother dropped me off to school, I would too since she also never hugged or kissed me goodbye either.

This taught me to hate instead of love. To be alone than with someone. I never had much of a true friend, I was always by myself because my parents were. The emptiness I felt as a kid only grew larger as I grew up. I didn't try too hard at school because it seemed like wherever I went I wasn't accepted. 

When I got into National Korean High School I didn't attempt to have a "fresh start," I didn't have much hope to the school year. And of course I was right. The moment Kyung laid his eyes on me I knew he had a motive. His thing was to pick on the new kids because they were easier to boss around. Kyung constantly wanted my school money, homework, and just a punching bag. The emptiness grew deeper everyday I was at that school, then I'd come home to a very depressing household. 

Kyung made all my struggles into one emotion, anger. Little by little I couldn't tolerate the disrespect anymore. I wanted out of this hatred world. The numbness went away as a grew up, and I started to feel every emotion. The sad, the anger, the hurt, and I didn't know how to deal with it. I didn't know how to make it stop. Well...the only way I could think of stopping my own pain was to die, I didn't want to feel anything anymore. Is that what I have to do to everyone else that is making me hurt? Kill them? Is that how I solve my issues? 

--

(A Year Ago)

I stare at my popcorn ceiling as my alarm went off. I was already awake, sleeping hasn't been a regular thing for me lately. I turn to my alarm and turn it off sighing at the ground. Slowly, I lift my legs and sit by the edge of my bed. It was silent. I didn't hear my mothers tea ringing, my dads third beer opening up, I heard nothing. Am I alone? For a second I felt a warm feeling in my heart, happiness? 

I stood up and walk over to my closet to change for school. It was finally Friday, I wasn't happy nor excited. I get to escape my hell which is school and Kyung, but have to face the reality of my parents. 

After getting ready, I head down stairs. I walk through the living room to get to the kitchen. I walk pass my dads dirty clothes that were laying on the ground next to his empty bottles of beer and ramen. I see his phone that I assume he left accidentally, hopefully he won't come home upset. In the kitchen there is a letter on the counter, I walk up to it and read it. 

I am grocery shopping, call your father if you need anything - Eomma (mom)

Quickly, I crumbled up the note and threw it away. After throwing away, the note I raise my hand up to scratch my head but accidentally hit my hand on a drawer handle. 

"Ow!" I look at the drawer as I hold my hand tightly. My hand that wasn't hurting open the drawer wondering what is in it. I see all my dads beer openers lined up with lighters and pocket knifes. I look at the pocket knife and suddenly thought about Kyung. I would never have the courage...Still, I quickly grab the pocket knife and put inside my pocket before leaving the house.