Chapter Six

(sotc is summertime sadness by lana del rey. this one is a rollercoaster, but happy reading!)

The dawn sunlight streamed through the curtains of Alec's room, blinding his as he opened his eyes. He felt strangely uncomfortable and sort of...cold? He looked up and realised he was lying on his couch. He rubbed his forehead in confusion and sat up, blearily scanning his room. A blonde head was resting on his pillow. 

Ah. That was why he was on the couch then. 

Ness was asleep on his bed, lying on her stomach leaning her head on her arm. The duvet was on the floor, leaving her only covered with a thin sheet. Alec rolled his eyes.

Well, I could have used that he thought to himself, but he got up and shook her gently.

"What?" she groaned sleepily. He laughed.   

"Take your arm out from under your head, Blondie, you'll make it go dead" he said, shaking his head with a smile. She was funny when she was asleep. Sort of cute. She smiled, her eyes still closed.

"Look at you, being all concerned" she murmured, her words slurred with sleep. "Didn't think you had it in you."

He laughed quietly, more to himself than her. "Anything for you, Blondie."

She smiled and rolled over, throwing her arm out to the side. Alec smiled down at her and stood up.

Something about the dawn made everything feel okay and possible and hopeful, and Alec quite liked it. He liked seeing the smile on her face, and knowing she was happy, because her being happy made him happy too. He wasn't sure why.

He got up quietly and pulled the duvet off of the floor and spread it over her. She didn't stir, and he was glad that she could finally sleep.

He walked out into the hallway, a smile still on his face.

She was nice. He liked her.

At least he could admit that much to himself. 

"Already?" Jace's voice pulled him from his thoughts. Alec raised his eyebrows. 

"Already what?" he asked mildly, falling into step with his parabatai. Jace smirked knowingly.

"Don't play dumb with me, Lightwood" he laughed. "You know what I'm talking about."

Alec shook his head and shrugged. "Nope." Jace raised his eyebrows. 

 "You mean to tell me that you haven't got with her" he scoffed, smirking like he knew something Alec didn't. Alec stared at him in alarm. 

"What?" he gasped, appalled. "No! Of course not!"

"Well, she was in your room last night" said Jace reasonably. Alec shook his head.

"Jesus, you don't miss a thing do you, you nosy bastard" he sighed shaking his head. "But it wasn't like that."

"Then what was it like?"

But Alec didn't explain, because he knew Jace wouldn't understand.

"Not that" he said finally. Jace shrugged.

"Whatever you say, mate" he replied, unconvincingly. "So, you mind if I go for her then?"

Alec's entire body tensed up, but he didn't show it. Bottling everything up had become a habit over the years, and Alec just got better and better at it. 

"Nope" he shook his head, his tone cool and measured. "Do what you want.". Jace looked at him oddly.

"Aren't you friends?" he asked curiously. Alec shrugged.