Chapter Thirty-One

(hellooooooooooooo! tysm, we're almost at 250 reads which is crazier than jace is atm! i love u all sm this is so insane hjsjs omg okay anyways, sotc for today is nowhere to run by stegosaurus rex. happy reading <3)

Alec's POV

"Alec!". Isabelle snapped her fingers in front of my face. "I'm talking to you!"

I shook my head, losing my train of thought.

"What? Oh, yeah um-"

"You have no idea what I just said, do you?" my sister said, rolling her eyes at me as the train clacked on the tracks beneath us. I glanced out the window as we raced through the city, all of the buildings merging into one grey blur.

"Er, yes, I do" I argued. "You were saying how you hate the train, and how long is it until we're at Porte de L'enfer" I repeated confidently. Isabelle scowled.

"Chance" she shrugged.

"What?"

"It's chance that you got that" she shrugged, trying to look nonchalant. I raised an eyebrow.

I asked her if she'd rather I were wrong.

"I didn't say that."

"Sounded like you did" I shrugged and took a sip of my water. Isabelle just looked annoyed.

"Do you know what Porte de L'enfer means?" Trying to make conversation, which I didn't want to do. I wanted to think about Ness, and last night. Hmm. Perhaps that wasn't a good idea.

 Considering the circumstances. 

I shrugged and told her if it was Spanish, maybe, but I couldn't speak a word of French.

Ness could speak French, though.

"Look, Alec, Ness is my best friend, but you're obsessing" Isabelle scolded.

I wasn't obsessing.

"Clearly you are" she wagged her finger at me, the way my mom did sometimes. I waved her away, but she didn't take the hint.

"I mean, you bring her into every conversation. If you're in love with her, just say so, and then shut up."

"You shut up Izzy. Stop getting involved."

"You're involving me!"

I didn't say anything.

Ness rarely ever told me to shut up, only when I was being an idiot. Was I being an idiot now?

No, don't be stupid. I'm never an idiot.

"So" I began carefully. "You and Dracula?"

She went beet red, and shook her head furiously.

"Why does everyone say that?" she said, clearly annoyed.

I say clearly a lot, because nothing's ever unclear with my sister. Isabelle never tries to hide her emotions. She's very blunt.

I think it's very strange that Isabelle and I grew up exactly the same way, yet we're so different. I think it's because of our vaguely sexist parents, but if you were to ask Ness, she'd tell me about astrology.

There she was, dominating my thoughts with her flirty smirk yet again.

I am so done with this.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and punched out a message to Magnus.

U two doing ok?

Magnus bane is typing...

U j txtd ? She left 5 ago.

Well shit.

I looked at Isabelle.

"We've gotta go home. Ness is-"

"What now Alec?". She was clearly irritated. "Eating? Sleeping? Breathing? Let it go"

No, she's missing. 

Jace fixed his plain black shirt and eyed Lexi in the mirror. He had to admit, she looked good.

Her hair was long and sleek, parted in the middle, and it shone like there was sunlight falling on it, as it cascaded down her Dior clad back. Her dress was red, and silk, long and elegant, and her lips were the same shade. She wore thin high heels, and she held a champagne glass in her hand, on which she was tapping her glossy nail.

"If you don't hurry up, you're going to be late for your own initiation ceremony" she informed him, her tone cold and clipped as usual. Jace rolled his blue eyes.

"What's a little tardiness in an eternal life, huh?" he quipped, and Lexi took a sip of her champagne, unimpressed.

"When it comes to the devil, Johnathan, it's not quite so eternal" she said, pursing her scarlet lips.

"Sometimes I really regret telling you that was my name" he laughed, but she remained stony faced.

"Most of the time I regret ever having taken pity on your impoverished self, but I don't complain about it" she shrugged, no hint of a joke in her voice.

Jace whistled. 

"Woohoo" he mocked. "Touche."

"Grow up, Jace" she slammed. "I have no time for you when you act like a five-year-old."

"Sorry" he muttered sheepishly, but her expression didn't change.

"Are you ready, or not?"

"Ready, I'm ready" he replied hastily and turned to her. She didn't acknowledge him, but simply walked out of the room, without so much as a look over her shoulder.

Sometimes, Jace wondered if he lived with a bitch.

Other times, he was a hundred percent sure of it.