Chapter Forty

(wow. i'm kinda overwhelmed. thank you for getting this far <3 sotc is yes to heaven by lana del rey. happy reading!!!)

December 24th

"Look Alec look" Ness gasped as she looked out the window like an excited child. "There's a snowflake!" 

"Yeah?" he chuckled as he stood back from the tree, turning his head this way and that, scrutinising it. "Hey, is that straight?"

"Alec no, you'll miss it!" she protested, turning her head away for a minute.

"A little to the left" called Enyo from where she was playing pool with Magnus and Simon. The balls clunked off each other and Simon let out a roar of triumph. 

"Yes!" he yelled, and Enyo huffed, muttering something to herself that probably was better not to be repeated.

Alec tilted the tree slightly to the left and nodded approvingly before joining Ness on the couch.

"Blondie, it snows every year" he laughed, not entirely condescending and she turned to him with a casual shrug.

"I've never seen snow" she said with a smile, and his pale jaw dropped in astonishment at her lack of experience in the world he knew so well, and without a second thought he grabbed her warm hand with his cold one, and pulled her up from the chair.

"Alec" she laughed, her voice ringing like a bell, but he didn't reply, instead pulling her outside onto the snowy Brooklyn street that was decorated with little spots of white were the snow had formed small piles on the sidewalk. "What are you doing?" 

He wrapped his arm around her small waist and tilted her chin up so that he could look at the face he loved so much. Unable to hold it in, a wide grin formed across his pale face, exposing the fangs that Ness had grown so used to so quickly. In fact, she even liked them better.

"I wanted to show you the snow" he explained as if it were the most normal thing for your boyfriend to drag you out into the Winter with a t-shirt on. Well, maybe it was.

He wrapped his jacket around her goose bumped arms, and she let the familiar feeling of it seep into her body, her heart, everything in her body that could feel anything. And smiled and ran her hand up his strong arms to the nape of his neck, smiling at him as if he'd made her day just by existing.

"Thank you" she whispered. "For showing me the snow."

He beamed back at her, his eyes filled with the fire that she had started in him staring into her that even after all these months still fizzed with the vibrant electricity with which they had when he'd first met her, covered in the blood of a demon that wasn't a demon. He'd thought that she was beautiful, even then, with her long hair and bucket hat, and little toadstool earrings that she now refused to wear.

"I had to, right?" he said, his eyes not leaving hers. "It's tradition that you show the love of your life the snow I'm pretty sure."

"I've never heard that" she scoffed. "And who says you're the love of my life?"

"Aren't I?" he asked, a playful smirk gracing his beautiful face.

"Well, I don't know!"

But as he leaned in and kissed her, she knew that he was, and would always be the love of her life, no matter how long she lied.

I mean, what can I say?

Ness had always been a liar.