Chapter Seven

(y'all we're almost at 50 reads, which is CRAZY!!! thank you so so much <3 sotc is burning desire by lana del rey. happy reading!)

Alec leaned the palms of his hands on his windowsill as he stared out at the city. It was late, around midnight, and there was a storm brewing outside. Sighing, he turned around and walked over to his desk, pulling his shirt off as he went, discarding it on the floor. He sat down and put his head in his hands, rubbing his forehead.

He could still feel her, hours later.

Part of him wanted to forget her, and kick her out of the Institute, to never see her face again, or look at the way her eyes lit up when she found something funny, or the way she scoffed when she was surprised. He wanted to shout at her to get out of his head, and out of his life, out of his heart. Maybe the stuff that was coming up inside him would go back down again.

Another part of him wanted to run to her and hold her in his arms until everything was okay again, and to make her smile and to love her like she needed to be loved, like he needed to love her. He barely knew her, but he was getting closer and closer to having her, and he knew once he did, that he'd be addicted to her, and he wouldn't be able to stop loving her until he burned out.

A light knock on the door pulled him away from his thoughts.

"Come in" he called, sighing wearily and glancing at the door, and there she was, her hair in a ponytail, escaped strands of hair framing her face, in a hoodie and shorts, her face bare of makeup, exposing her dark undereye bags. She was still more beautiful than ever.

She strolled in, shutting the door behind her and flopping down onto his bed.

"Hello to you too" he chuckled, and just like that all the tension was gone away, and he felt happy and light and free.

"Demon fighting takes a toll on a girl" she sighed. "It's almost like I'm tired." 

"Couldn't be us" he replied with a laugh. "How have you been sleeping, actually?" 

She patted the bed beside her, and he obliged, lying down beside her and looking up.

"You should paint that" she said thoughtfully. "Your ceiling, I mean. With stars and stuff."

"You're avoiding my question, Blondie" he pushed, rolling his eyes.

"You noticed."

"I did."

"Huh" she sighed thoughtfully, rubbing her eyes. "I've always been a night owl, I suppose."

"Tell me about you" he said, putting his hands behind his head. "I barely know you."

She laughed, and Alec felt like he was on fire.

"Like what?" she scoffed.

"Just stuff" he shrugged. She sighed and thought for a moment.

"I'm afraid of heights" she said at last. "And I really hate peanut butter." 

"You hate peanut butter?" he gasped in astonishment. "But what about PBJ sandwiches?" 

"I hate them with a passion!" she declared, wrinkling her nose in disgust at the thought. "A fierce one". 

"You're insane" he replied, shaking his head. She half smiled.

"I've heard it before" she shrugged. He smiled.

"Tell me about when you were a kid" he said, and she shrugged.

"I can't remember really."

"Yes, you can" he argued. "But you don't have to tell me if you don't want."