Chapter Thirty-Three

(um, hey senoras, i cried writing this one, ngl um...happy reading, + crying. sotc is bored by billie eilish!)

The six of them hit the floor of Magnus' apartment with an impressive thud. Ness glanced around at everyone, her vision still fuzzy from fear and shock and blood loss. Her cold hand was still gripping Alec's hot one, and her breath hitched a little when she remembered how she had felt alone in that cell, thinking she'd never see him again.

She loved him.

And now she was this close to him, her shoulder brushing his chest, his hand in hers, her back brushing off his raised leg as they sat on the floor, trying to gather themselves.

If this had happened back in June, before Alec, Ness would have run a million miles in the opposite direction. She did not do feelings, she did not do relationships, and she'd certainly never fall in love. Until she did.

Alec Lightwood was different, and he had ruined her, ruined her carefree consequence less life, and had made her into a love crazed maniac willing to do anything for him. She adored this dark-haired wasteland, these fire flecked eyes, these late-night cigarette breaks when he simply couldn't take the pressure of being the best and she especially adored the bad temper, the sullen strops and the way he would glare at her as if he wanted hate her but knowing that he never could. 

She was different now, so she squeezed his hand gently making him smile, clearly pleased, and she didn't let go all the way back to the Institute.

Enyo's blonde head slumped against the window as she stared out at the dark Brooklyn evening. This whole thing was weird, alien to her. She'd never been in the Mundane world before, and she hated it already, after her five-minute car drive.

Her sister was staring adoringly at her Shadowhunter boyfriend. The vampire was giving a similar look to the Shadowhunter's sister, glancing at her every so often in the car mirror, his eyes full of anguish and longing, as if he were in pain or something. Enyo, who was sat in the front seat, and didn't take any prisoners tapped the vampire's shoulder. He glanced at her quizzically, eyebrows raised, and she moved her head nearer, so that her lips close to his ear. He understood and tilted his head to the side.

"What's the deal with you and Cleopatra?" she asked, referring to Izzy's...slightly excessive outfit, granted. Raph gritted his teeth but couldn't help than to chuckle at the analogy.

"No deal" he whispered back, mocking Enyo's slightly accented voice. "We're just...allies."

"Hmph" Enyo huffed, unconvinced. "So, why are you looking at her as if she's just ripped all your internal organs out then, hmm?"

"It's complicated" he shrugged, before seeing her expression. "Tell you later."

And she had to be satisfied with that. 

Ness rolled over and shut her book, as she heard the familiar knock on her door.

I am so damn unprepared for this.

"Come in" she called, avoiding eye contact as he walked in and seated himself in his usual spot. And then the strangest thing happened.

Ness started crying.

It was completely unprecedented, completely uncalled for, completely unnecessary, but she did it anyway, because she was overwhelmed, and tired and confused, and although it wasn't her proudest moment, she wanted a reason to have him close to her, and not surprisingly, it worked.

Alec walked over to her, and wrapped his strong arms around her, and she let herself sob for a minute before pulling away.

"Why are you crying, Blondie?" he asked softly, and she buried her head in her hands, suddenly mortified.

"I don't know" she mumbled. "Sort of to get your attention."

Alec stared at her for a moment, before he burst out laughing.

"You always have my attention, idiot!" he grinned, and she swatted him, and suddenly they were Alec and Ness again, not the weird alien creature that Ness had felt like since she'd gotten home.

"Ness I..." he began, but having second thoughts before he finished his sentence, the déjà vu kicking in.

"Say it" she whispered. "I want you to say it."

He looked astonished.

"What? But I-"

"Say it."

"Why?"

"Because I love you back."

He turned his burning brown eyes on her, the fiery flecks making her heart race.

"You do?" he whispered as though he were in a dream, and didn't believe it.

"Of course, idiot" she laughed softly, her voice full of affection. She kissed him softly and he kissed back with all of the love he'd been keeping from her.

"I love you, Blondie" he said, properly this time. She smiled.

"I love you too."