Chapter Twenty-Six

(GIRL IDK WHY THESE ARE ALWAYS LATE IM SORRYYY. anywho, plot twist in this one, so sotc is rhinestone eyes by gorillaz. happy reading!)

"So, you are my mom?" Ness asked, feeling a little shaky. Her mom.

Lillith nodded eagerly.

"Yes...Ness? Is that what they named you?"

"Venus. Ness is my nickname. You'd know that if you'd ever bothered with me."

Lillith's face dropped, and she walked over to Ness softly, placing a gentle hand on her arm. Ness shook her off.

"Don't touch me" she hissed. And then as an afterthought. "Please." 

"I understand that you may be hurt, my love" Lilith began, with a wounded tone, but Ness held up her hand.

"Hurt?" she spluttered. "Hurt? I am meeting my mother for the first time, at seventeen years old and all you can say is hurt? You left me! You abandoned me to live out a life with nobody. Nobody!"

She was crying now. 

"I couldn't care less about your apologies, Mom" she spat. "Just please if you want things to be okay between us, get Alec for me, and let me go. I care about Alec, I need Alec, not you!"

Lillith flinched as if Ness had hit her, and a perfectly shaped teardrop fell from her eye, and slid down her pale face. 

"Persy..." she whispered, her words trailing off into nothing, as if she'd never began the sentence at all. "Let me explain, please, my side of the story. If you still hate me after, well then, I'll give you Alec back. If you understand, then maybe you'll help me."

Ness folded her arms.

"Right okay. Go."

"Well, your father and I have always been...antagonised, among the celestials. When really, we just saw things for how they were. You have to understand, Per- sorry, Venus, is that with heaven, you have love. And with hell, you have truth. So, when we told them we were having a baby- which by the way, we thought was impossible- they didn't believe that we'd care for you adequately. Hell is loud, there's lots of parties, drugs, scandals. Sin. It's not really an ideal place to raise a baby."

"So, you left me to the fairies then?"

"Listen. We entrusted you in the care of the Seelie queen until we could find a place to raise you, on our own. But when we did, she wouldn't give you back. You were too valuable. And we couldn't get you without starting a war. And by that time, I was-"

But before Lillith could finish her sentence, the door swung open, and in walked Ness' mirror image strutted in, except she was like a bad version of her. Where Ness wore a blue sweatshirt and blue jeans, this girl's outfit eerily mirrored Ness' except her sweatshirt was red, and she wore black jeans. Her eyes were also a brilliantly scarlet red, and Ness got a shiver when she realised that this is the girl that she could have become. 

"Well, well, well" drawled the girl, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Looks like the notorious Persephone has graced us with her godly presence."

"Enyo" warned Lillith. "Be kind."

She strolled over to Ness taking her in.

"Hey there, Persy" she smirked, circling Ness. "I'm Enyo. Your baby sis." 

"So you could keep her, and not me? Bull. Shit." Ness scorned. "I don't buy your story. Actually, I think you're just lazy." 

"Ooh purr" giggled Enyo. "I like her, Dad, she's feisty."

"Shut up" said Lucifer and Ness at the same time, and then glanced at each other.

"Venus, sweetheart, I'm sorry for how you were treated, but you have understand, that this...this was our first time that we ever had to take responsibility. We were silly, immature. We see that now, and we want to make it right" Lillith coaxed. Ness turned to Lucifer. 

"Do you?" she demanded, her tone accusing. He nodded.

"I do" he said softly, his voice genuine.

Ness weakened slightly.

"Um, okay, I guess. Well, um...what do you want my help with?"

Lucifer and Lillith grinned at each other.

"We knew you'd come around."

"So, you want me to activate a sword, so that you can kill every single Shadowhunter and Shadowhunter descendant? What are you, crazy?"

Enyo had strutted off somewhere, and Lillith had been explaining to Ness that she needed to activate Inferni so that she and Lucifer could destroy the Nephilim.

Ness didn't really rate the plan. 

"They've oppressed us, for centuries" Lillith wheedled, trying to persuade her.

"And kill everyone I'm close to? No way!"

"Oh, for the love of hell get over yourself, you stupid child!" roared Lucifer. Lillith shot dagger eyes at him, looking more than agitated.

They expected Ness to cower, flinch, maybe ever start crying. She just laughed.

"I was wondering why she wasn't letting you talk" she giggled. "But now I see. He would have blown the whole thing, right?"

"What whole thing?" Lillith asked through gritted teeth.

"The whole thing where you pretended you missed me to get something out of me" Ness shrugged.

Lillith's jaw dropped.

"Now, now, mom, give credit where it's due. You forget that I am your daughter. You and I are the same, see? What's it they say? Only a good liar can tell when they're being lied to."

Her mother's eyes narrowed.

"You weren't upset" she realised. "You didn't even care."

"Ding ding! Took you long enough, idiot" Ness laughed scornfully. "Honestly you think I would cry over you? I don't know you Lillith, nor do I want to!"

Lucifer sat up from his chair.

"You're being so bloody inconvenient, Persephone" he drawled. "So, I'll speed up the process. Do it, or your friend dies."

But before Ness could respond, the door swung open, and there was Alec, pale and tired looking, but alive, with Enyo at his side.

"No, he doesn't" Enyo sang, her tone gleeful.

"Enyo!" her father yelled, making towards her, but Enyo was too quick, and she sped over to Ness, her hellish army after her and pushed Alec at Ness. 

"Go" she hissed, and Ness grabbed Alec's hand and nodded. "I'll hold them off."

"Thank you" she whispered.

"Don't thank me, just come back for me, yeah?"

"Of course" Ness promised. "I'll come back for you, I swear."

"Good, now get out."