2013 (29)

Camila returned home feeling like a true teenager and having rested her mind more than her body, but that was ok. The feeling, however, didn't last long. Days before her and Sofi were going back to school, they parents announced that they were taking some time apart. That's what they called it at least, they didn't want to use the word divorce or break up. Terminology didn't matter to Camila, they weren't going to be together and she was mad at both for giving up, for letting the family down when she tried so hard to please everybody. She felt like they didn't appreciate her efforts and that everything she put herself through was worthless. She didn't say it, though, and she didn't fight them one bit, she just stopped talking to them.

She once thought her dirty little secret with Shawn was supposed to make the return to classes interesting, but with her parents' drama she didn't have the mind to think about anything else.

"Who did you get for History?", Jess asked next to her while they were walking down the hall on their last first day of school.

"Uh... Mr. Kim", she named him after checking on her schedule.

"Ugh, we're not in the same class", her friend groaned.

"But we have English together", Camila mentioned.

"Oh right!", Jess cheered up.

"Are you busy after school?" Camila stopped walking and asked Jess. She really didn't want to go home, and she needed an excuse.

"Yes, sorry", the red headed say slowly. "I have swimming practice. First day this semester".

"It's ok. Have fun", Camila sighed and they continued walking.

"Maybe one of the guys can hang up", she offered before they parted ways to go to class.

Camila couldn't focus on any of her classes. Whether she wanted on, her mind kept going back to the problems at home. She felt so stupid for thinking the trip away with Shawn's family would've give her mom and dad time to fix their marriage. It clearly made it worse.

The bell rang again and she walked to her locker looking down. Some people said hi to her on the corridor and she replied, but she didn't even notice who they were.

"Can I cheer you up?", a male voice said next to her and she had to blink a couple of time before coming back to all her senses.

"Hi, Patrick", she tried to sound normal.

"How are you?", he asked.

Patrick always thought Camila was cute but this year she came back with a golden color tan and long wavy hair that made her look even more beautiful. Being a senior made him feel like he had to take any chance and opportunity he got, it was the last year after all.

"Good, thanks. How was your summer?", she asked him to look interested.

"Great. I went to Hawaii with my family. Did you and your family go somewhere?"

It was an innocent question, but for Camila it felt like a knife through her heart. She was hurt, but she was more mad than hurt. She hated to feel like that.

"No... uh, I went to the lake but not with my parents", she mumbled.

"That's cool. Go on vacations without parents, I mean", he grinned with his perfect smile. Patrick's father was a dentist, it made sense he had such perfect teeth.

"I guess", she shrugged.

"Hey Patrick! How are you? I heard a bug bit you and you got a nasty rush during the summer", Shawn interrupted them coming out of nowhere.

Patrick's face frowned although he tried to hide it. He purposely avoided Camila's eyes while he replied Shawn.

"Hi. Uhm... yeah. Turns out I'm allergic", he explained embarrassed.Why did Shawn have to share that piece of information when he was trying to shoot his shot with Camila?