2020 (35)

I shouldn't be lingering on last night's incident but I can't help it. I know Camila doesn't care or at least doesn't feel offended by it, but I do. That was my chance to get it right with here, someway or another, and I feel like I blew it.

We got our stuff back in the car after breakfast at the inn and started the trip once again. The morning was cold and that didn't seemed to changed as we were driving up north to our hometown.

This time we had more random topics to talk about and the moments we went silent weren't awkward. Still, the uneasy feeling of what I had done bugged me in the back of my head. In the messiness of it all, I had put aside the one thought that should've mattered the most.

Why? Why did she initiate that?

She knew how I felt for her before and even when I hadn't expressed the extent of my current feelings, she might've had some idea.

"I need to go to the bathroom", Camila says unexpectedly, waking up from a nap and getting me out of my thoughts.

"Sure", I reply and spot a gas station ahead of us.

I park and she gets out, looking for the restroom. I step outside of the car to stretch my legs and call my mom to check on her.

"Hey, baby. Where are you now?", she asks me cheerfully.

"I'm not sure exactly", I say looking around. I got so lost inside my head that I stopped paying attention to the road and the signs.

"But you're on your way, right?"

"Yes, of course", I chuckle. "How are you? How's everything there?"

"Oh it's good. It's raining a bit, so you better get your jacket when you arrive", she suggests, moving things around on her end. My mom is always doing something.

"Ok, I'll do that".

"I'll be making your favorite dinner", she says and I can feel her smile through the phone.

"Thanks, mom. I should be there around that time", I say.

"Great, we're all excited to see you".

"I'm excited too".

"Aaliyah's boyfriend will be coming for dinner as well, so you'll be meeting him tonight".

"Is he?", I murmur. I'm not an overprotective brother but I can't deny I get a weird feeling every time someone mentions that my little sister is dating.

"He's nice. You'll like him", my mom assures me.

"Hey! I bought these!", Camila shouts making her way out of the store and I cover my phone so my mom can't listen to her.

"Is there a girl there with you?", my mom inevitably asks and I rub my forehead. She's always nosy about this stuff.

"No", I reply. "I mean yes, but not with me".

Camila covers her mouth while I try to end the call with my mom, repeating again and again that I'm traveling alone so Camila's surprised isn't ruined.

"I'm sorry", Camila whispers when I put my phone down. "I didn't notice you were on the phone".

"It's fine", I say. "I think she believed me".

"Good... So, I bought these", she shows me again holding two cans of Arizona Ice Tea in her hands and a childish smile.

"Thanks", I smile and she hands me one.

"Is your mom as fun and nice as always?", she asks me when we are back in the car.

"If by fun you mean that she loves embarrassing me, then yes", I nod.