2021 (53)

"How did you learn all that?", I ask Camila when we leave Daisy alone to rest and move into the kitchen.

"Um, just bad past experiences", she shrugs.

"Near death experiences?"

"You technically can't die from weed overdose but it's a hell of a ride in the wrong hands", she explains. "It has never happened to me but I saw it a few times while I was volunteering abroad".

"Yeah, that much I know. I honestly don't know why it hit her so bad, she was just fine when she came here".

"Does she visit you a lot?", Camila asks casually but there's something about the way her voice goes high at the end.

"This is the first time", I let her know as soon as I can and I'm ready to explain myself but she cuts me off.

"Do you want a tequila margarita?", she offers changing the topic.

"Yes, sure", I nod surprised and she gets her hands on some ingredients to start preparing the drink.

I watch her closely as I always do when she prepares something for me, or for us actually. Mesmerized.

"So what did you come to do?", I cocky say while she's busy, gaining back some of my courage.

"Uhm", she murmurs and blushes again. "I was just... I thought..."

"Did you miss me?", I ask her.

"Did you?", she asks back and tilts her head, challenging me.

"I asked first", I point out.

"I think you know how I feel. After all, I'm not the one who asked for a break", she whispers resuming her tasks.

Ouch. She's right though.

"I talked to my mom today. She asked about you and said she misses you", I tell her.

"I miss her too", she adds.

"That's what I told her", I say proudly because I know her that well.

"You haven't answered me", she comments and I chuckle nervously.

I don't know why it's so hard for me to tell her how I feel or what I want. I guess I'm still trying to heal and protect myself from the pain.

"Yeah... I do miss you", I say under my breathe and I get a huge weight off my shoulder.

"It's done", she murmurs and my eyes open wide but she refers to the cocktail. I almost freaked out.

"Thanks", I say as I bring the glass to my mouth and take a sip.

"How is it?", she asks with a smile.

"Very nice", I say feeling the citric notes on my tongue.

"I had a bartender gig when I was in New Orleans", she tells me. "It didn't last much. Turn out it wasn't very good at it, but I did learn how to make this", she gets a sip from her glass.

"I'm impressed", I say looking down at her, under my lashes.

"Easy there or I'll assume you're flirting with me", she giggles and I chuckle softly, not moving an inch.

"You got me", I whisper and the air turns thicker between us.

"Shawn", she says so low I barely hear her.