2012 (10)

"Wow, you're here", Shawn said sarcastically when he saw Camila at their lunch table. She had been spending her lunch with her boyfriend lately.

"Tyler is doing a college visit this week", she explained and drank from the water bottle.

"What are you going to do when he goes away?", Luke asked her. Graduation was coming for the senior class and that meant Tyler was leaving.

"I don't know... maybe we'll visit each other?"

"You really want to have a long distance relationship?", Jess said.

"I don't know", Camila replied again.

"That would be cute and romantic", Jess added, "but I've heard is really difficult".

"Sounds like a lot of trouble when you've been dating for just 6 months or so", Shawn said.

"What do you know?", Camila asked him. "You've never dated anyone".

"I'm not interested on having these types of problems", he shrugged.

"You could have any girl", Jess told Shawn.

"Oh, he knows", Nick chuckled. "He's just too obnoxious and annoying for a relationship".

"I don't want a girlfriend right now", Shawn insisted and the conversation turned to a new topic.

Life was easy for Shawn and he wanted it to remain that way. He had seen how dramatic some couples were and he was too shy to want to have a scene in front of the school like the ones he had seen so many other couples have. He would go for some meaningless make out at parties but nothing more than that. He just wasn't interested on entertaining a girl, no one was worth the effort so far.

When he arrived to a party the next Saturday afternoon he confirmed he didn't want to deal with mad girlfriends and messy public discussions. There it was Camila and Tyler arguing on the backyard, by the pool, and Shawn just shook his head and went to look for a beer. He loved Camila but he couldn't understand what she was doing with that guy. Tyler didn't have filter when it came to divulge his dating life with her. All the school had heard rumors about what they did in his car. Shawn eventually had talked about this with Camila, more like argued, but she didn't listen and instead backed up her boyfriend so Shawn had given up. Now he wasn't bothering with helping her. It was petty and immature on his part but that was how he was, just a petty and immature teenager.

He walked into the kitchen and was welcome by Farrah, his blonde, fit and cheerleader classmate.

"Hey Shawn", she rolled his name out of her tongue slowly.

"Hi", he replied quickly.

For the girls, his cold and mysterious personality was interesting. They didn't know him enough to know that he was just being awkward and banal most of the time.

"A beer?", she offered and he nodded.

He opened and drank from his beer while he looked through the window at how Camila and Tyler were still going at it. What was that about this time?

"So how have you been?", Farrah asked him.

"Good", he replied right away. He didn't like small talk, he didn't know how to do it.

"Shawn!", Jess called him and he turned around.

"What?", he asked her, looking in her direction.