2013 (15)

Camila wasn't as bubbly and goofy as before, and no one could blame her. A month and a half had passed since the incident and her friends were just trying to be by her side. No one in her family had taken the news very well, and it was normal, but Camila was too worried about her mom to notice she wasn't any good either. Sinu had started treatment with a therapist three weeks ago and so far, she had made it out of bed, so that was something.

"Do you want to go to the game tonight?", Jess asked Camila during lunch trying to cheer her up.

"I don't know", she sighed. She wasn't in the mood... again.

"C'mon. It will be fun", her friend insisted.

"I've been to too many games already to know it's not fun", Camila said.

"We can just go to check on the guys on the other team and eat nachos".

"Or you can all go to cheer for me and have fun like normal people", Nick interrupted. "This game is crucial for the team".

"See?", Jess said. "We have another excuse to go".

"Excuse?", Nick frowned but the girls didn't pay attention to him.

"Give it up", Luke shook his head and patted his friend.

"I'll think about it", Camila finally said.

When Camila arrived home, Sofi was playing in the front of the TV with her dolls and her mom was sleeping on the couch. She took the plates and glasses that were laying around and put them on the sink.

"Hey Sofi, are you hungry?", she asked her little sister.

"Yeah", she smiled.

Camila made her a bowl with fruit and asked Sofi to wash her hands before eating.

"How was mom today?", Camila asked.

"She's been asleep most of the time. She just asked me for water".

"So she hasn't eaten?"

"Nope. She gave me lasagna but she didn't eat".

"Ok, I'll fix that", Camila said with a smile, trying not to worry Sofi.

She took the lasagna leftovers from last night and reheated them on the microwave. She made a plate for her mom and just woke her up when everything was ready.

"Camila?", Sinu said waking up and rubbing her eyes. "What are you doing here? Why aren't you at school?"

"School is over already", she explained.

"Oh... I fell sleep and lost track of time".

"Yeah, I know. You must be hungry".

"Not really", she yawned.

"But you need to eat", Camila insisted and grab her mom's hand to pull her off the sofa and into the kitchen. "Sit down".

"Did you eat?", Sinu asked her.

"Yeah, at school".

Camila put the plate in front of her and Sinu ate slowly. She sat there until she saw her mom take the last bite.

"Dad's gonna be here any second", she reminded her mom.

"Mhm", she nodded not very interested in that piece of information. Camila sighed sad.

"I'm gonna go take a shower", she said and walked upstairs.

Showers were her escape. No one bothered her when she was there. She loved the hot water roaming her body, making her feel something again, soothing her muscles and numbing her mind. She wished she could stay there, enjoying the steam forever instead of facing the demons that were tormenting everyone in her house.